Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sciatica

(3 Posts)
Willdoitinaminute Fri 30-Aug-13 20:51:29

I suffered with sciatica for nearly 2 years, had physio for core instability but made little difference. We then changed our mattress for a Tempur memory foam after sleeping on one while on holiday. It wasn't instantaneous but gradually the pain moved from my lower leg back up to my hip and has virtually gone. If I spend more than a couple nights on a normal mattress it reappears but resolves when back in my own bed.

goodasitgets Fri 30-Aug-13 00:40:40

You have my sympathy. Mine rumbled for months until one day I turned and ended on the floor. This resulted in a very embarrassing call for an ambulance for gas & air and to be picked up and dressed blush
My doctor gave me codeine and diazepam the next day, he saw I couldn't actually lie down or get up
The thing that helped most was an amazing NHS physio who spotted it was my weak core and that was causing it. Ended up doing core work and having back strapped and touch wood it's been ok since

vintagecakeisstillnice Fri 30-Aug-13 00:08:18

Had it for years normally manage with TENS OTC anti- inflammatories and massage.

Fell about 5-6 months ago just lost balance walking out of work and bashed my knee, not a biggie just got on with it limped a bit.

Being off balance aggravated my back. MAnagable for a few months but not shifting.

Last 3 weeks total agony, am on everything going except morphine. Gabapentine, tramadol, codeine, ibuprofen. Icing and heat packs, still can't put my foot on the ground. .

It's affecting all of my life, and I mean all.

GP less than rubbish, visit before last accused me of drug seeking. . . Last visit finally got referral to physio, MRI, and made him refer me to Ortho and Pain clinic, but the waiting list in 10-12 weeks.

I really don't think I can wait that long, the painkillers aren't helping at all. The pain is so draining, and embarrassing. My OH had to help me dress in order to go to the Doc.

I'm not sure why I'm posting but I'm getting to a very dark point.

OH tries but he's not used to me not been the coping one, I mean he's been very sweet and helpful but he's a bit bewildered by it all. .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now