Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long for tonsillitis to clear up? So fed up.

(4 Posts)

I may be being impatient, but I started with a sore throat on Monday evening. On Tuesday, I felt absolutely dreadful. Saw dr on Wed morning, who prescribed penicillin and a numbing spray. He also said to take paracetamol and ibuprofen, as needed. At that point, I just had maybe 3 small white spots on my tonsils. This morning there was much more pus, and by lunchtime, one tonsil was almost entirely covered in it (sorry!). The painkillers haven't helped at all, and I was worried about the dramatic worsening of my tonsils, so I went back to the dr's today, and he prescribed Naproxen (like ibuprofen apparently, but stronger). I know I haven't been on the antibiotics that long, and doc said it'd take about 48 hrs to start feeling better, but I just feel so dreadful. I've barely slept in the past 3 nights, end up tossing & turning, and sweating buckets. My whole body seems to ache. I've never felt so ill as I have this week, but just as I think I've turned a corner, I go downhill again. Not much chance of rest, due to dds age 1 and 3, although my mum is staying at the moment. Eating seems to help, but obviously the actual swallowing part is very painful. Any thoughts/experience greatly appreciated! I had no idea it could be such a nasty illness.

Bumping.

tinypolkadot Fri 30-Aug-13 07:48:44

Hi OP I had it a couple of years ago and was given the wrong type of antibiotics I think confused I had to go back after a week of agony and they gave me a prescription for something else and took a swab (whichI never ended up getting the results from).

The next day the pain was gone and it started to clear. I was never sure if it was the new antibiotics or if it was viral and cleared up itself.

It's horrible, I hope you feel better soon! Jelly was my saviour flowers

Thanks tiny, I'd heard sometimes they give the wrong antibiotic. My throat still looks absolutely disgusting, so I guess if it still hasn't started to improve by Monday, I'll go back. Jelly sounds good, nice and soft!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now