Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Kidney Stones...and party 2 hours drive away from home.

(8 Posts)

Thanks summertime.......I have an appointment booked with my diabetes GP next week (first available) I have still got back pain on and off, so will get it all checked. Also, I have asked for the blood test results to be sent to the GP.

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Tue 03-Sep-13 10:38:14

I would certainly go back to the gp if you are still having problems (but not the one who stopped the antibiotics). Hope you are feeling better. That was not a good experience.

UPDATE: I went to GP friday morning, he did urine test, said still infection present...he was annoyed that previous GP had told me to stop taking anti-bs. He said lots of blood and protein in urine, wrote me a letter for the hospital and told me to go straight in.
It was a complete and utter cock up from the minute I walked through the doors! Basically, I was there all day, had a CT scan which showed nothing, (nearly had a bladder scan until they realised they had me mixed up with a male patient!) I was eventually told to go discharged with Tramadol and Co-Codamol with no explanation and told not to go to my GP in a subtly threatening way.
They seemed totally obsessed with the fact that I may be pregnant (no chance, husband had snip years ago, did a test myself the day before to rule out, no sex in weeks as been too ill) and kept telling me I would have to agree to a pregnancy test (fine) but didn't do one.
Took bloods, scratched my hand badly with the needle, didn't wait for results before discharging me.
Told me I had no infection, but then was advised to finish rest of course from Monday (I had chucked them out, told not to take by second GP) and got tutted at.
Told blood in urine was menstrual???? All women get it????
Totally and utterly uninterested in me because scan showed no stones, 'couldn't' refer me to another department, but told me not to go back to GP.

Anyway, I feel a lot better now, only occasional kidney pain, and typically my period has started angry , so there will be blood in the sample. But on the plus side, at least I have heavy duty pain killers for nasty period pain (really, really heavy and nasty)! And DH went to his dinner dance alone, and had a really great time catching up with mates from his past smile

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Fri 30-Aug-13 10:14:48

Good luck with doctor. Is it possible to have gall stones and kidney stones at the same time? Your pain sounds more extensive than mine which was very much centred on my kidney.

If you catch your wee in a margarine carton or something, you will see the stone ( or sometimes lots of little ones like grit) I think mine nearly came out once, but I had to answer the phone to concerned MIL! It came out the next morning.

Thanks for the replies smile
Looks like I'll be staying put then......
I haven't taken any co-codamol since 2.30pm, (last diclofenac 7.30am) to see if I have still have pain when it wears off to tell GP - I have indigestion and tight ribs, can't breathe deeply without discomfort and nasty dull achey back pain. Also, tender stomach and stitch like pain that comes and goes...I will be taking more painkillers before bed. Still can't lay down.

I will be going to GP tomorrow morning, but was wondering, if the stone was in my kidney, the awful cramp/labour pains probably mean that it has gone through the kidney and is presumably in my pipework, so that means it will have to come through my bladder and urethra...so will that be as painful? And, will it definitely come out now, or will it settle into my bladder for a while and then come out at another time?

Also, should I ask for a scan if it is not offered? I am worried about kidney damage, given the diabetes which I've probably had for a couple of years without knowing.
TIA

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Thu 29-Aug-13 16:10:40

I've had kidney stones bad. Took 3 1/2 days to pass. This sounds worse, and you have not passed it yet.

Back to doctor and no going away.

noddyholder Thu 29-Aug-13 15:09:38

I have had kidney stones and no way would I go away!

Hi, I am looking for some advice....

Background info...

Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 4 months ago taking Metformin.
1 month ago I was prescribed Ramipril to help with kidney function.
I have IBS, taking Omeprezole and Buscopan.
I have allergies, taking Ceterizine 20mg per day.
I have neuropathy (nerve pain) so taking Pregablin for that. (Nothing to do with the Diabetes) and two weeks ago I had a steroid injection to help this pain.
Saw diabetes GP on Wednesday, Metformin dosage upped from 2 to 3 tablets 500mg per day - doctor happy with sugar levels as they are comiung down to acceptable level, athough not there yet.
Prescribed Simvastatin for high Cholesterol (6)
I get sciatica - but this was different.

On Wednesday I was told my kidneys and liver are struggling to cope because of the Diabetes. My kidneys are still leaking protein into my urine sad and the GP is going to refer me for a kidney ultrasound to rule out any other problems.

On Friday evening I was fine, went to bed and was woken around 2am with a tight feeling around my ribs, like indigestion, and a bit of back ache. I get indigestion linked to the IBS but this was different. I went back to bed with a hot water bottle and lots of pillows as laying flat made the pain worse. I was woken later by awful back pain, tight ribs still and feeling like I was going to have a heart attack! I got up, took some pain killers, had another hot water bottle and felt better. I had to go out, so limped about, came home, made dinner and spent the evening topping up pain killers and hot water bottles, trying to get comfy. Saturday night was awful - by this time I had waves of pain which were going across my back from shoulders to waist, starting on the left, spreading right over my whole back, spasms.....but not the same as my usual sciatica pains. Sunday was much the same, but as we had a friend round to decorate the bedroom and living room, I spent most of the day in the dining room sat on a hard chair/cooking dinner/standing the pain was getting worse but I thought it was down to not resting enough.
Sunday night was so bad I was sick, awful pain still, so I managed to get an appointment with the emergency GP (bank holiday) on Monday, she tested my urine, it changed the dip stick colours instantly and she said it was a severe kidney infection - gave me antibiotics and said go back to GP if not better by Thursday (today).
So, there was no improvement, pain getting worse if anything and Tuesday night was hell - I felt like I was in labour, waves of horrendous pain, awful back pain, feeling sick, was leaning against the kitchne sides, rocking for 30 mins as nothjing was helping, I couldn't lie down at all, even propped on cushions, spent the night in an armchair. I got up at 8am and was shivering, teeth chattering, although I was not feeling cold.
I saw a different GP who tested urine again and said no infection (she also called the lab who confirmed no infection in the sample from Monday).
She said it must be kidney stones......gave me Co-Codamol 30/500 and Diclofenac 100mg suppositories to use every 18 hours. She said go back after 24 hours if there is no improvement and the stone may pass naturally.
I do feel better, but still cannot lay down, especially on my side, can't lift heavy items, even the kettle makes my side/back hurt, can't put my arms above my head for long, still getting waves of pain and back ache. The pain killers are keeping it at bay, but the Diflofenac wears off after around 6 hours, and the co-codamol after 5 hours.

I don't know whether to go back to the GP today, I am in pain if I let the painkillers wear off, but if I keep them up I am managing, although I feel shattered, really drained and haven't slept properly for a week.

Also, I am supposed to be going away with DH Friday (tomorrow) night, to a dinner dance, staying in a B&B, visiting his mother in her care home and coming home Saturday afternoon. It is at least 2.5 hours in the car, each way.

I really don't want to make DH miss this, it is with lots of his friends from his teenage years that he hasn't seen for years....but, I am worried about being ill whilst there, particularly at night as the night times seem to be the worst....

Should I go to the GP and ask for a kidney scan?
Should I go away armed with painkillers and hope for the best?
Should I stay home and keep up with the painkillers, I've got three more diclofenac.....and hope the stone has passes without a problem?
TIA and sorry for the mammoth post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now