Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone found levothyroxine affected periods?

(9 Posts)
TwoStepsBeyond Thu 29-Aug-13 12:09:54

Mine are a bit irregular but I'd never made the connection! Been on Thyroxine for 13 years and never read that particular side effect! blush

Mine can be every 3 weeks or sometimes 7 weeks in between and sometimes ridiculously heavy. Thanks for the heads-up that it could be the pills (or I suppose the condition itself) causing irregularity.

I've found it to be the other way around (just to be awkward).

My periods were all over the place before I started on the Levothyroxine, but are now very regular - just blardy heavy.

I'm on 125mcg btw.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

digerd Thu 29-Aug-13 06:09:53

Good luck with TTC.

Sorry digerd should have said that the reason for delayed AF can't be pregnancy. When I had a colposcopy last week I had a pregnancy test beforehand which was negative.

I am going back for a six week blood test in a couple of weeks so when I speak to the doctor about those results I'll ask about the missing AF. It is annoying because having just got the all clear from the colposcopy we are ready to ttc. Quite difficult though with a missing menstrual cycle!

hellymelly Wed 28-Aug-13 14:15:16

That is interesting, as my periods changed when i started thyroxine, 11 months ago. I had put it down to my age as I'm late 40's, but maybe it is the levothyroxine.

mumat39 Wed 28-Aug-13 14:10:08

Sorry, in the early days you should have your blood tested every 6 weeks, until your levels settle.

mumat39 Wed 28-Aug-13 14:08:38

Hi there.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when my Dd was about 3 months old. It is the permanent variety, unfortunately.

I have just checked the leaflet on my box of tablets and it states menstrual irregularities in the 'other side effects you could experience are' section.

Dd was my first and due to a goitre I was under the local hospitals care, and had to have regular scans. The doctor at the hospital was brilliant. It took a good few months to find the right dose for me, and once I had 'stabilised' in terms of my levels of TSH etc, he pronounced that I could now try for another baby. I fell pregnant with DS2 shortly after that.

So, I think it can affect your hormones in that way. You should be have your blood tested every six weeks I think to make sure the tablets are working. In your shoes I would go back to my Gp just o make sure it is just that, but also to have it noted on your records.

I hope it all settles down soon and that your af arrives soon.

Take care

digerd Wed 28-Aug-13 07:01:09

No. When I was overactive - too much Thyroxine produced by my Thyroid- my periods stopped altogether.
My SIS had a very underactive Thyroid after the birth of her 2nd DC and she had no peiods either.

I was put on 50 mcms of Thyroxine years later but was menopausal by then and periods had stopped 4 years earlier.

Could you be pregnant?

I was diagnosed as having a slightly underactive thyroid at the start of this month. I've been taking 50 mcg of levothyroxine since then. I'm now on day 41 of my cycle with no sign of AF. My cycle is generally 30-32 days. Has anyone who's been taking it for longer than me found it was disruptive to their cycle?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now