Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Suffering today with a really bad tight chest

(11 Posts)
Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 27-Aug-13 22:02:06

I dont have asthma and not real hay fever but I do sometimes have mad sneezing fits on hot days. The tight chest seems to happen when the weather is hot, could it be because of the pollen count? Would antihistamine help?

According to Dr Google I either have lung cancer, emphysema or am having a heart attack, so I thought I would ask the eminently more sensible MN medical board!

Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 27-Aug-13 22:03:00

Also, my body seems to really want to yawn even though I am not tired (weird feeling, like it gets stuck halfway, my jaw just wont go into full yawn mode) which I assume is my body trying to get more oxygen.

WafflyVersatile Tue 27-Aug-13 22:03:46

Are you over 40?

Apparently if you're over 40 and buy a lottery ticket at 7.30pm you have more chance of having a heart attack by the time of the draw than winning it.

#justsayin'

Pascha Tue 27-Aug-13 22:05:37

I would guess that you do in fact have mild asthma brought on by hayfever. Its perfectly possible to have that and it not trouble you at any other time.

ImpatientOne Tue 27-Aug-13 22:06:21

I think asthma may be more likely than the other options - and slightly less scary!

Your symptoms sound similar to my asthma which was diagnosed when I was 18 after being managed/masked by hey fever treatment until then. I do yawn a lot when I need to use my inhaler.

Have you been assessed re asthma as you say you don't have it?

Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 27-Aug-13 22:16:28

Well thank you so much for that Waffly grin

The last time I mentioned it to the doctor he said that it was probably nothing to worry about (helpful). I will go back that as it is fine 99% of the time but really troublesome when it does kick off.

DS2 and DD3 and 4 all had "asthma type reactions" to chest viruses, with DS2 being in an oxygen tent at 5 weeks old due to his reaction to RSV sad Then he grew out of it as did the others, they are not troubled at all now.

The more I write the more obvious it is that it is likely to be hayfever triggered asthma isnt it? I have DD4's most recent (in date) inhaler here, should I give it a shot? I used to use one years ago when panic attacks were wrongly diagnosed (thanks doc.....)

Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 27-Aug-13 22:17:25

Sorry, I should explain that they all need inhalers with coughs until they were about 4/5 and DD4 still does occasionally.

Pascha Tue 27-Aug-13 22:23:52

Not that I would advocate using medication not prescribed for you and you should take medical advice, if your DD's inhaler is a Salbutamol (blue one) you could take a couple of puffs and see. If it opens your lungs and takes the tightness away you have your answer and you should see the gp.

You should see the gp again anyway.

Bogeyface Netherlands Tue 27-Aug-13 22:35:06

Yep, blue Salbutamol. Will give it a bash, thanks

catsharingmychair Thu 29-Aug-13 19:15:31

Hi

Sorry you are feeling unwell - has anyone mentioned acid to you?

Acid indigestion doesn't have to be acid reflux - I.e. with nasty reverse leakage into the throat or horrible gastric acid pain - it can be just simple pressure on the chest area too.

I have acid indigestion in this way and am on Lanzarapole, which helps enormously - used intermittently only.

The condition feels like someone has taken an pair of tights and wrapped it round me just under the bra strap and pulled it tight - so not completely breathless but just uncomfortable...not heart linked pain but acid.

Just thought I'd mention it!
All the best.

catsharingmychair Thu 29-Aug-13 19:32:30

Hi

Sorry you are feeling unwell - has anyone mentioned acid to you?

Acid indigestion doesn't have to be acid reflux - I.e. with nasty reverse leakage into the throat or horrible gastric acid pain - it can be just simple pressure on the chest area too.

I have acid indigestion in this way and am on Lanzarapole, which helps enormously - used intermittently only.

The condition feels like someone has taken an pair of tights and wrapped it round me just under the bra strap and pulled it tight - so not completely breathless but just uncomfortable...not heart linked pain but acid.

Just thought I'd mention it!
All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now