Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help, have done something very painful to my back

(6 Posts)
Mindfullness Sat 24-Aug-13 09:33:35

Poor you sounds like what I have sacro ilieac (?) which is an inflammation of that joint. I see an osteopath which has really helped. Carry on with the ice packs and I got Diclofenac which is good for a short term to help with pain. Another tip I was given was to take 1 paracetemol and 1 ibruprofen. Good luck with your gp too.

Montybojangles Sat 24-Aug-13 09:30:13

Sounds a bit like you may have a herniated or prolapsed disc. Take the anti inflamatories regularly. You might also need something that is a paracetamol codeine mix for a day or 2 to make you a bit more comfortable.

If you are having any sort of bowel or bladder problems (can't go or incontinent), and/or numbness in your leg or buttocks you should go to A&E urgently as this could indicate cauda equina syndrome which would require surgical intervention.

Most disc problems will resolve by themselves, but can take a few weeks. If you are worried its best to pop to a and e as they can image you if concerned and supply you with some stronger pain medication.

No more lifting for a while. Hope you're feeling better this morning.

pudseypie Sat 24-Aug-13 08:03:53

take ibuprofen you need anti inflammatories not paracetamol. I had similar problems for years, was a disc problem in lower back that pressed on nerve into leg, hope its not that for you. A good massage from a physiotherapist will help if you are able to get to one. And keep moving, bed rest for a bad back a myth! altho no chance of rest with children....

MiconiumHappens Sat 24-Aug-13 07:56:07

Sounds like sciatica. I would see a doctor, hope you get better soon smile

sharonfagan1991 Fri 23-Aug-13 22:28:35

I had something like this last year before christmas. I think I may have pulled a muscle in work somehow looking back. I took painkillers for 3 days then after a week or so the pain was gone. Hopefully your pain goes quick.

OhThisIsJustGrape Fri 23-Aug-13 22:25:23

It happened when I lifted DS into the bath earlier this afternoon.

Pain started in lower back then moved into left buttock and then began radiating all down my left leg.

I can't sit down, stand, bend, lie down...it hurts to do anything really sad

Have tried ice packs, have taken naproxen and then paracetamol - nothing has really helped.

Have given up and gone to bed but in too much pain to sleep. My lower leg now feels slightly numb and very tingly.

Short of a miracle occurring overnight, I'm likely to be in same position in the morning so do I go for out of hours dr or A&E? Or do nothing?
Should add that I have 4DCs and a lone parent although could cover childcare for dr/a&e but nothing in way of actual helping out with kids so need this sorted ASAP.

Ouch!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now