Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

First smear test on Tuesday and dreading it.

(54 Posts)
sharonfagan1991 Fri 23-Aug-13 18:18:33

I have to go for my very much dreaded first smear test on Tuesday morning at 10:30 after I finish doing a 12 hour nightshift, but I am thinking about cancelling again. I have read the pink leaflet I got with the original letter though the thought of going through with it terrifies me however I know that a smear test is important.

Not really fond of the idea of my intimate parts being on display to be probed etc though it must be the same for everyone. Any advice?

juneybean Mon 26-Aug-13 12:49:51

It'll be fine, I wore a skirt and it was uncomfortable but didn't hurt.

I went for my smear today and it was quick and pain free. I had trousers on but just took them and my pants off and got on the examination table. You put your feet together with your knees bent and out to either side and that helps to get better access. They then use a speculum so they can see the cervix and use a little brush to scrape some cells from the surface. Mine was done by the nurse and over in a couple of minutes.

p.s. I never even had a modesty cloth and was left wearing a bra and t-shirt. The curtain was round and the nurse let me get undressed and dressed by myself so it was fine. I have given birth twice though so have no sense of modesty left now anyway grin

ots Wed 28-Aug-13 23:44:19

Hi OP. Hope your smear went ok. I put my first smear off for about 6 months. My results came back as severe dyskaryosis, which is the last stage before it becomes cancer. I'm 25!
Luckily there were only 2 affected cells which were removed and I've been put on 6 monthly smears to keep an eye on it. I dread to think of what might have happened if I'd put it off any longer. I have a 2 year old DS.
I'm not saying this to scare you, more as a reminder how important it is not to put it off. Well done for going ahead with it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now