Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bite with black scab

(8 Posts)
digerd Thu 22-Aug-13 15:43:21

I had one on my ankle last year which swelled and spread to my knee. GP said cellulitis - an infection and allergic reaction. Put on a course of ABs and antihistamine tablets for a week.
The bite site did scab over later and after it dropped off I saw 2 fang hole marks shock.

Despite wearing socks this year, I was bitten on the inside ankle bone last evening and it has swollen and is 'driving me mad' itchy, hot and red.

Your son's will be on the mend now. Just off to have another swig or two of Piriton, which did help in bed last night.

PenguinBear Thu 22-Aug-13 15:38:49

Yeah it's day 10. Neither DP or I have ever seen a blackout with a black scab before blush So didn't know if it was normal.

As an aside, I am not sure itself it's a scab as it is not above the skin, more in it. If you run your finger over you
Don't feel a scab if you see what Mean.

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 22-Aug-13 15:35:33

Is it the photo labelled Day 10? That just looks like a bite healing up nicely. Tiny little black scab. It'll fall off soon I think.

Obviously don't just believe me if you are worried, but it looks pretty normal from the photo to me.

PenguinBear Thu 22-Aug-13 15:33:14

It's not red like it was IMO (see what you think in pics) and its not hot. Hurts intermittently!

PenguinBear Thu 22-Aug-13 15:31:26

Were you able to look at the pictures?

valiumredhead Thu 22-Aug-13 15:29:34

Scabs can be black. Does it hurt, is it angry, hot, red?

WafflyVersatile Thu 22-Aug-13 15:27:49

I'd get it checked out.

PenguinBear Thu 22-Aug-13 15:23:29

DP got bitten about 10 days ago. he didn't feel it at the time, I noticed it. A few hours later it was a bit swollen and started to itch, we covered in Anthisan.

He hasn't complained until today when he thought he'd been bitten again as it was hurting.

It's a little pink round the edge, (not swollen) but has a black spot/scab on it. I've never seen a black scab before, is this normal? I think because it's on he back of his thigh he's feeling it a lot when he moves.

We have no idea what bit him.

Pics on my twitter @penguinbear2013

(no idea how to link)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now