Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My blocked nose hell! What & why? Please.

(29 Posts)
saythatagain Sat 10-Aug-13 08:40:38

For months now I've had a worse than normal blocked nose; the 'stuff' moving from one side to the other.
I've tried Bekanase with no success, with the only product giving temperory relief being Otrovine, which is only supposed to be used as a short term measure. Trouble is, it's just not clearing up.
Recently both sides are blocking at the same time.
It's worse during the night when I'm laid down, or like now, just sitting up in bed.
Any ideas or remedies? Thank you.

Gemmamummy Wed 21-Aug-13 14:59:21

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your blocked nose. I always try to spread the word about Sterimar sea water nasal spray. It's bloody amazing! I am proud to advocate the stuff! It clears you out so well with the specially designed spray nozzle and the salt water. I was recommended mine at Boots but I think you can get it in most supermarkets and chemists. They do a baby one too which is suitable from birth and I have used it on my son. Good luck x

ohN0Whatnext Wed 21-Aug-13 15:45:42

I've used Sterimar; it's ok for low intensity problems. For yours (and mine) it won't wash. Neilmed is Sterimar Turbo.

ohN0Whatnext Wed 21-Aug-13 15:48:37

OP. Will you try this. Close your mouth. You won't be able to breathe much through your nose I guess but there will be some air going in and out.

Try a very shallow inhalation through your nose and then out again. Try it again, and again and again.

What happens?

knightynight Thu 22-Aug-13 20:55:06

Things I now do following really bad blocked nose/sinusitis, which seem to work (will not give up any of these as I think they all help!!):

Changed from dairy milk to oat milk (still consume dairy products but less so)
Take antihistamine every day the whole year (mine linked to allergies, I have hay fever)
Use Sterimar nasal spray
Use Avamys when needed - have it on repeat prescription
Humidifiers in the house

Erm, think that's it. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now