Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Always feel so cold all the time

(20 Posts)
deborahlogan Sun 25-Aug-13 15:15:43

I know how you girls feel about being cold in the winter and stuff. Last winter I resorted to wearing woolen tights under my trousers for the winter months. I always feel freezing at that time of year.

sharonfagan91 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:54:38

Sounds like I will need to get checked out. I dont think I could go through again feeling the way I did last year when I was practically in about 3 layers all the time.

somersethouse Sun 25-Aug-13 12:50:23

My sister used to have to sit by the radiator. It was thyroid.
You need to see a GP quick - within days you will feel better but have to take thyroxine - tis painless and you will be fine. Definitely sounds like thyroid though - definitely. smile

sharonfagan91 Sun 25-Aug-13 12:46:21

Yes sounds like it may be thyroids, have heard a few ppl saying that. I do aim to get this checked out soon. I am only 22 though so definetly cant be menopause lol

littlecrick Sun 25-Aug-13 11:59:16

As others have said this could be your thyroid not working quite as it should. My mum was just the same as you and thought it was the menopause bless her.

sharonfagan1991 Fri 23-Aug-13 19:33:50

I suffer from this too and I get cold all year round especially in winter. Maybe I will need to go for a thyroid check at some point.

RockinD Sun 11-Aug-13 17:27:01

This was me from my childhood until I got my thyroid treated. The first winter my thyroid was treated was the first winter we were in credit on our fuel account.

Ask you doc for a full thyroid function test and also a full blood count and ferritin.

lesleyb1990 Fri 09-Aug-13 15:28:10

Not at all funny. Feels like a joke for me too, I am currently sitting with a blouse and cardigan trousers and tights underneath. When I go to a friends house I even dont wanna take off my boots/shoes and feel freezing if I do.

dottyaboutstripes Fri 09-Aug-13 15:25:37

For me, this is because I'm very anaemic - but is gone to the gp as I thought it was thyroid related. However they can find no cause for the anaemia so maybe I'll go back to ask for more detailed thyroid tests. It's become a bit of a family joke that I'm always cold but it's not funny at all, is it? Brrrrrrrr!

lesleyb1990 Fri 09-Aug-13 10:05:16

Yes I know I need to. I get envious sometimes in the summer months especially of friends wearing short tops, shorts and sandles when out and I am wearing cardigans, my coat and trousers etc. It has been rele silly of me to put this off though at the time I didnt know what to do. I will have a look at the website and I will pluck up the courage to go see my GP.

Do not put it off, get it checked out. Its not normal to feel so cold all the time.

The website I mentioned is helpful, do read that as well.

lesleyb1990 Fri 09-Aug-13 09:47:54

Thanks I will have a look as I know it is not normal for a girl my age to be experiencing this, I know I need to get checked out before this winter though had been putting this off as I was worried they might find something rele bad.

I would also say there could be a problem with the thyroid gland. Anyone can develop thyroid problems, its no respecter of persons.

Blood tests should be done to see if this is indeed the issue.

Have a look at this website as well

www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html This is a good website and has lots of information on it.

lesleyb1990 Fri 09-Aug-13 08:37:22

The worrying thing is though I have never been pregnant before and I am only 23.

PareyMortas Fri 09-Aug-13 08:32:30

Second thyroid. It's one of the many side effects have a google. I don't get all the side effects and wasn't particularly tired although I'd just had my third baby in three years when diagnosed, but feeling the cold is one I do get.

It's nothing to worry about if yours is underactive you'll have to take thyroxine which is just replacing a hormone so not really medication.

lesleyb1990 Fri 09-Aug-13 08:27:19

Thanks, think I need to do something though I have been putting it off for a long while tho I know I rele shouldnt have.

pollywollydoodle Fri 09-Aug-13 08:25:28

just a blood test at the gp. they will prob do one for anaemia as well

lesleyb1990 Fri 09-Aug-13 08:15:56

Thanks, what type of thing would this involve?

pollywollydoodle Fri 09-Aug-13 08:05:23

thyroid check

lesleyb1990 Fri 09-Aug-13 08:00:32

I am a bit worried something may be wrong with me, nearly all of the time I always feel cold while everyone else is in their summer clothes I am in layers, i feel a bit embarassed almost and always get the impression people are looking at me as I end up leaving my coat on at times. I always feel i'm worse when the weather is worse, last autumn and winter was awful for me and now I am dreading this winter as I constantly have the heating on, have to wear about 3 layers all the time when I go out to work etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now