Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just been diagnosed as Diabetes Type 2 - please help

(4 Posts)
feeltheforce Mon 05-Aug-13 16:03:08

I have just returned from what I thought was a routine doctors appointment for a throat infection to be told I have diabetes.

I am so upset and ashamed. I had a diabetes in pregnancy and lost weight and then put all back on. Have been feeling so ill recently and now I know why. I am quite scared because I am only 40. Has anyone been in the same position and can give me some advice on what to do next? - except lose weight which I will obviously try my hardest to. sad

Matildathecat Mon 05-Aug-13 18:04:54

Have bumped up a long thread, OP is doing really well.

Best wishes.

cooper44 Tue 06-Aug-13 14:14:21

There's an interesting story in the mail today about a man who cured his type 2 diabetes with a very low cal diet. Maybe worth a look?

ArgyMargy Wed 07-Aug-13 08:22:28

No reason to be ashamed.

Like Cooper says, there is now a growing body of evidence that dramatic weight loss can reverse Type 2 diabetes, which is linked to obesity because the body becomes insulin resistant. Even though your pancreas is still making insulin, the body can't use it. Eventually many Type 2 diabetics will end up needing extra insulin. If you lose a lot of weight this insulin resistance may be reversed. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you talk to your doctor or nurse before attempting a diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now