Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just been diagnosed as Diabetes Type 2 - please help

(4 Posts)
feeltheforce Mon 05-Aug-13 16:03:08

I have just returned from what I thought was a routine doctors appointment for a throat infection to be told I have diabetes.

I am so upset and ashamed. I had a diabetes in pregnancy and lost weight and then put all back on. Have been feeling so ill recently and now I know why. I am quite scared because I am only 40. Has anyone been in the same position and can give me some advice on what to do next? - except lose weight which I will obviously try my hardest to. sad

Matildathecat Mon 05-Aug-13 18:04:54

Have bumped up a long thread, OP is doing really well.

Best wishes.

cooper44 Tue 06-Aug-13 14:14:21

There's an interesting story in the mail today about a man who cured his type 2 diabetes with a very low cal diet. Maybe worth a look?

ArgyMargy Wed 07-Aug-13 08:22:28

No reason to be ashamed.

Like Cooper says, there is now a growing body of evidence that dramatic weight loss can reverse Type 2 diabetes, which is linked to obesity because the body becomes insulin resistant. Even though your pancreas is still making insulin, the body can't use it. Eventually many Type 2 diabetics will end up needing extra insulin. If you lose a lot of weight this insulin resistance may be reversed. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you talk to your doctor or nurse before attempting a diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now