Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Surgery on a frozen shoulder. Anyone had this done?

(13 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 06-Aug-13 16:01:51

Thank you. Got your PM, much appreciated.

magimedi Tue 06-Aug-13 13:22:39

I did send you a PM with the name of my surgeon, Rather - let yme know if you haven't got it.

I would really recommend it - with in 2 weeks of the op I was driving again - it was so bad that I could not drive safely.

As I said, pm me or I'll keep looking in here if you want more info.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 06-Aug-13 11:02:23

Magimedi - I could weep with joy reading your post. We are on hols at the mo with long time friends and I am so fed up of not being able to do cricket on the beach, rounders, Go Ape stuff. It is getting more and more debilitating and depressing. Has heightened it too which is good. Am going to speak to consultant and get myself organised. We are SW London. Thank you so much all. X

Hermyninny Mon 05-Aug-13 16:17:20

I did. It was brilliant. Post op pain was no worse than it was beforehand. I was good about the physio and three years on I'm still feeling great.

Bowlersarm Mon 05-Aug-13 16:11:30

I clearly need to monitor it and hope it doesn't get worse. At the moment, I'm at the stage where it is very painful for a few weeks at a time but not too debilitating. But the majority of the time it is fine.

I am aware of it though and try and keep everything uptodate on 'good' days ie housework, anything that requires excess driving etc. I have to do the school run in the car twice daily still so that can be difficult.

mummylin Mon 05-Aug-13 14:54:15

bowlersarm I was lucky and did grow out of it but it took months, at one time I couldn't do things either and while it was still painful for some reason I was always knocking it, I would bash the wall on the way up stairs, walk into the door and once went to see a show with dh and rested my arm on the rest, dh knocked me and it was agonising, I could of cried. But eventually it got better, I think it was about a year, but still can't really get to the back of my head despite having done the exercises my doc told me to do.

magimedi Mon 05-Aug-13 14:24:19

Bowler - Sometimes you grow out of it. Mine was so bad that I could hardly move the arm & had a vastly restricted life. It was constant & had reached the stage where I could not reach round with my right hand (am right handed) to wipe my arse. Had to teach myself to do it leaft handed! Sorry if that's TMI.

Bowlersarm Mon 05-Aug-13 13:48:28

shock I get a frozen shoulder, I thought you grew out of it (haha, at approaching 50). I had no idea it needed an operation.

magimedi Mon 05-Aug-13 13:46:20

Yes. I have. Twice! I was really unlucky & had one shoulder done & then about 18 months later the other one went.

It was brilliant, amazing & life changing. I had very little pain post op but the most important thing was that I did do my physio 3 times a day, religiously. My shoulders went on & on improving for at least 18 months. The difference immediately was great & then I could do more & more things & could even, eventually, throw stones (on the beach) overarm! And pull crackers.

It's about ten years since I had it done & my surgeon was amazing - one of the top shoulder people & I was lucky enough to be living in his area.

Do PM me for any more info you want.

mummylin Mon 05-Aug-13 10:45:22

I know how painful and awkward it is, I have had a frozen shoulder myself. But I didn't need surgery. Good luck

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 05-Aug-13 10:29:07

Bless you, thank you, fine is good!

I'd like to have the surgery and be back to normal. Finding this so bloody annoying. Tis stopping me doing things. sad

mummylin Mon 05-Aug-13 10:19:14

My next door neighbour had this op and all I can tell you is that he was fine, sorry no more info to give you

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 05-Aug-13 09:59:34

Looking for lots of folk who have had this done very successfully ideally!

Have had injections twice. They take the pain away for a while, but haven't improved mobility. Now I'm back on nurofen with codeine and having to take them far too much. Next step is surgery. confused Key hole surgery I know but am a bit frit.

Would love to hear from anyone with experience or who knows of someone. Good and bad stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now