Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

General whinge about prednisone for UC

(5 Posts)
Paddingtonblue Sun 04-Aug-13 22:43:28

After doing everything in my power for 7 years to avoid it, I have finally had to give in and start taking prednisone for my ulcerative colitis. I am here basically to whine about it, and I am only 3 weeks into it. So far I have had thrush, feel constantly like I have PMS and today I have headaches and sweats. I am really thankful that it has made an appreciable difference to my UC but really, it isn't a fun thing to take. Does your body eventually get used to it? I am only supposed to take it for a further 2 months or so hopefully.

1stTimer25 Mon 05-Aug-13 04:30:12

Hiya, firstly sorry to hear after such a long time you have had to give in, I am a crohnie and had to have a 6week cascade of this drug and unfortunately I can't tell you that it will get any better from the experience I had! I was a sweaty grumpy mess also and got a spectacular moon face and weight gain... But it helped my crohns and kick started my longest period of remission so far! I have been relatively symptom free and controlled since with Mercaptopurine and have been really able to enjoy life a lot more than I could before I took the cascade! So if you can grit your teeth and get through this period I hope that you will see a huge improvement in your uc that then might just make how crappy you are feeling now worth it!
hope this helps if only a tiny bit smile

giraffesCantWearSuncream Mon 05-Aug-13 05:56:35

Pred is a fucker! Amazing but shit at same time! Am on it too for my lungs. Hate the sensitive teeth. What dose you on?

I was on Pred for 8 weeks last year for my Crohns & I got used to the side effects rather than them getting better. The worst was the insomnia - even though I was exhausted I couldn't sleep for more than 3 hours at a time. It did the job though & the Crohns is now under control with the help of Mercaptopurine. I can't believe how well I am compared to 2 years ago. Bear with it & hopefully you'll see the benefits.

1stTimer25 Tue 06-Aug-13 21:56:08

Hello mrspinotgrigio sounds like we had different symptoms but similar experience with both pred and Mercaptopurine! Definitely worth sticking with it to gain the benefits smile I hope you are feeling ok padingtonblue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now