Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this sound like a panic attack?

(7 Posts)
RonBurgundysPanpipe Sun 04-Aug-13 21:32:34

I went camping a week ago and on the second night once zipped into the inner pod and sleeping bag I started to feel quite shaky and had an awful burning pain in my stomach. I had to get out and started to panic when I couldn't open the zips because I was shaking. I ran to the toilets and then had to get out of there, on the walk back to the tent I threw up in some bushes. I got back to the tent and then fell asleep in a chair next to the door. I eventually went back to my bed but had to sleep next to the open pod door with my sleeping bag open.

I do get slightly claustrophobic but nothing major and do feel anxious out of my comfort zone, especially with being away from toilets. However, this has really improved this year and I've camped loads of times before.

So panic attack or tummy bug??

cjel Sun 04-Aug-13 21:41:02

sounds like food poisoning to me and I've had both. It came on as stomach problem, got better when you were sick!!

Apileofballyhoo Sun 04-Aug-13 21:54:17

I'd say food poisoning.

RonBurgundysPanpipe Sun 04-Aug-13 22:59:42

Thats definitely preferable. Just wasn't sure with it being over so quickly.

digerd Mon 05-Aug-13 06:16:20

I slept in a sleeping bag once, but woke up in a state of panic. I couldn't breathe or move and instinctively unzipped it and got myself out of it and was then fine. I was 18. Think it was a claustrophobic thing. Decades on, I have never again been in a sleeping bag.

RonBurgundysPanpipe Mon 05-Aug-13 12:46:08

I always need to take a few minutes to calm myself down once I'm in and can't have it zipped right to the top but I've never reacted like that. Going to book another weekend away soon to test myself.

lurkingfromhome Mon 05-Aug-13 19:31:58

The one and only time I went camping I woke up with horrific claustrophobia (never have it normally) and had to spend every night after that sleeping with my head outside the tent. Hideous. Especially getting rained on in my face all night. Never been in a tent since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now