Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Kidney Stones

(13 Posts)
EarlyIntheMorning Fri 02-Aug-13 13:15:15

In the space of three months I have had kidney stones twice. The first time I had no idea what it was and just went through it, lasted about 3 hours of agonising pain and then it stopped. The second time was so bad an ambulance took me to A&E. I am now worried about when the 3rd episode is going to happen. Is there a management plan for this? Are there any supplements, medicines I should be taking?

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 02-Aug-13 13:24:03

Hi. smile Try and catch it if you can as they can analyse it to see which chemical excess is causing the problem. They can just happen in people but are more likely if you don't drink enough. There isn't a management plan unless they are large and you're unable to pass them, all you can do is take pain relief and keep drinking. If it's too painful them you need to seek medical advice.

EarlyIntheMorning Fri 02-Aug-13 14:27:03

Thank you lady. Excuse my utter ignorance here but how do I know it's come out? When going through it, I did check my urine everytime but never saw a thing. And if I do then what? Put it in a cap and take it to my GP?
Also, what pain relief would you recommend? 2 paracetamol did nothing for me sad

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 02-Aug-13 14:44:01

They will be tiny and you may not notice although the pain may move down your stomach/back as they are being passed through. I'd pop back to your GP and ask for something stronger then paracetamol, codeine usually does the trick (but makes you wasted in the process). Your GP can send you for an x ray, these will detect stones and are helpful to determine the size, or an ultrasound. Sounds like you could do with an ultrasound to check that everything is OK. If you are able to catch it just pop it into a pot. Stones can be made up of different things and it can help to know what's in it so that you can avoid foods that contain that mineral.

Hope you're OK. sad

EarlyIntheMorning Fri 02-Aug-13 14:50:26

I'm okay now but ended up in hospital last week; the CT scan showed that there was evidence of a stone having passed through, having gone through the whole process, about 6 hours, by myself in complete agony. If the CT scan didn't detect any more stones, can I assume I'm alright for now? How long do they take to form again?

Weegiemum Fri 02-Aug-13 15:08:04

Im the kidney stone expert - I had "cascade" stones in my last 2 pregnancies - basically I was passing a stone or gravel/sludge every day (yes that was very nasty!!).

Best painkillers for them are anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen, voltarol etc. but only 75% of people respond to any one type, so you might have to try a few. I get no response from IM voltarol (the drug of choice) but good results from 800mg oral ibuprofen. As I had it mainly in pregnancy, I wasn't allowed the NSAID drugs so was on a rather big dose of pethedine for it.

Drink LOADS! Even now (8 years from my last stone) I drink 8-10 pints of water a day. I check my urine for blood or pus weekly. I drink lots of cranberry (but you shouldn't drink it if you're on antibiotics, it stops them working). I take a prophylactic dose of Ciprofloxacin after sex, and am careful to wash before and after.

I hope these stones just stop for you. I'd a nasty time - had lots of utis when pg with dd1. Several uti then stones from 24 weeks with ds, they stopped when he was 11 months! Then stones and infections from 14 weeks with dd2 (I only found out I was pg at 14 weeks - thanks, Mirena!!) until she was 26 months..

Can't say enough - FLUIDS! Ask for voltarol, try to "catch" a stone (it's passed into your bladder when the pain stops) - I got mine by peeing through a nappy liner in a sieve! They can crush the stone and analyse it - knowing what it's made of affects the treatment.

EarlyIntheMorning Fri 02-Aug-13 15:18:37

Thank you Weegiemum. I cannot imagine being pregnant and going through pain like that. How awful and frightening.

2 days before the kidney stone attack happened, my belly bloated really badly for no apparent reason; usually this happens during my period, I look like I'm 7 months pregnant, but this was mid cycle. I stayed bloated the whole day, so much so that I didn't go out as I couldn't button my trousers. I wasn't in pain but in discomfort. Could this be a warning sign of a kidney stone about to pass?

And sorry to ask again but I feel really uneasy now. Can I relax for a while since my CT scan didn't show any stones last week?

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 02-Aug-13 15:19:09

I'm not sure how long they take to develop. They do tend to cause a lot of inflammation as they travel out though so you may be feeling sore from this. It's probably wise to get your GP to check your urine though in case you have a UTI. Weggiemum has some good advice. smile

EarlyIntheMorning Fri 02-Aug-13 17:01:39

Yes! You've both helped lots, thank you!
Hospital checked urine (there was blood and ketones but no infection), blood (nothing) and did the CT scan which simply showed evidence of a stone having passed through. Would there be any point to go to GP now? Maybe to just get strong painkillers in case it happens again? Or maybe I can just get them from Boots?
Thanks again

Weegiemum Fri 02-Aug-13 17:07:15

My GP prescribed oramorph to take and in the end, pethedine to inject (my dh is a doctor which made a difference). You really can't get strong enough painkillers OTC.

If there's nothing on your scan that's good. But a stone can form inside 24 hours. Small stones can be very painful - they tend to be smaller, and also sharper - causing blood in urine.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 02-Aug-13 17:09:00

You could do with seeing a urologist if you keep getting them so I'd ask for a referral. I'd pop back to your GP as you're still in pain, he/she will be able to give you better pain relief. As for the next time, it may not be for years so I'd hold off buying or getting painkillers (unless you still need them now that is).

EarlyIntheMorning Fri 02-Aug-13 17:21:28

I'll book an appointment with my GP on Monday. Thank you both again!! flowers

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 02-Aug-13 17:25:52

I hope you're feeling better soon. brew If it helps, caffine based drinks (coffee, tea, cola) are diuretics so will make you wee more (and become dehydrated, which will cause kidney stones). Try to reduce or get rid of these if you can. Herbal tea is good, as is squash. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now