Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Far TMI but should I see someone? And if so, who?

(12 Posts)
TeaAndCakeOrDeath Thu 01-Aug-13 21:09:06

Ok, I apologise in advance for the graphic-ness of this post if you're eating look away now but i have just been to the loo and passed a rather large amount of blood/clots/bloody mucus

I had a baby 8 weeks ago and haven't had a period since but I dont think its that

Do I need to see someone about this? And if so, who?

fusspot66 Thu 01-Aug-13 21:12:48

I'd probably phone the midwife even though they hand you to hv at 4 ish weeks. Presumably all lochia had seemed to pass/settle down before this.

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Thu 01-Aug-13 21:14:13

Thank you for answering! Sat worrying myself about this! Yes, stopped bleeding post-baby at about 4 weeks, so about 4 weeks ago...

My first period after ds was pretty grim if I remember rightly. Do you feel ok? Just make an appointment to put your mind at rest.

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Thu 01-Aug-13 21:19:18

It wasnt like a period though, theres nothing now, it was just one massive 'episode' must name change after this!

Winterwardrobetime Thu 01-Aug-13 21:20:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Thu 01-Aug-13 21:21:49

Will the midwife still see me after 8 weeks?

pookamoo Thu 01-Aug-13 21:23:57

MW will tell you if she can see you. If she can't she'll tell you to call your GP.

I know massive clots are not unusual post-birth (thanks to MN!) but at 8 weeks it is probably a good idea to get it checked out.

Beckamaw Thu 01-Aug-13 21:36:12

I had a similar experience, which became very heavy bleeding. Turned out to be retained placenta.
Definitely get checked over.

tabbycat15 Fri 02-Aug-13 04:00:04

I had retained placenta & passed a massive clot with heavy bleeding. I had to have a d&c to remove the retained products. Best to get checked.

Cucumberscarecrow Fri 02-Aug-13 04:30:50

Me too with the retained placenta although that was a couple of days pp. I think it's possible but less common eight weeks later.

In my case, I had heavier than usual post-partum bleeding and then passed a clot about the size of a lemon about 24 hours post partum. Rang the labour ward and they told me to call back if i had a bigger clot. Another 24 hours later and i passed a clot bigger than my head and then had a very serious bleed and ended up having a blood transfusion and d&c.

I hope you're not headed in the same direction but please ring your labour ward just in case.

pookamoo Fri 02-Aug-13 09:08:58

Let us know how you get on, OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now