Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Athletes foot, how easy is it to pass on?

(14 Posts)
Tortoise Tue 30-Jul-13 23:06:58

I found out I had athletes foot just over a week ago. Cream hasn't really helped so saw Dr today who gave me tablets to help clear it.

Just how easy is it to pass on? I'm wearing socks or flip flops in the house.

I want to take DDs swimming. Do I need to cover the affected foot?

And, bloody hell doesn't it itch! It's driving me up the wall! Especially as I can't scratch it!

mayaswell Wed 31-Jul-13 07:55:48

Very easily passed on, don't swim until its cleared up.

Make sure you clean your bath/shower thoroughly before other family members use them.

Is the treatment you're using not working? Go to the pharmacist if not.

Tortoise Wed 31-Jul-13 09:15:30

Thanks.
I hope it clears up soon then as dc are desperate to go swimming. The cream hasn't cleared it up but hopefully the tablets from the Dr will.
The itching is the thing that's driving me mad.

Dahlialover Wed 31-Jul-13 09:42:14

The non-medication route is to wash feet thoroughly in cool water daily, dry thoroughly and apply surgical spirit. Don't soak and let it get soggy, and don't scrub all the dry skin off.

Tortoise Wed 31-Jul-13 09:48:24

Surgical spirit, ouch! that's gotta sting.grin

Dahlialover Wed 31-Jul-13 11:11:34

There is worse - I was told weeing on them in the shower worked hmm but can't vouch for that one. (tried it once blush )

SoupDragon Wed 31-Jul-13 11:12:35

Lamisil Once is fabulous stuff.

Tortoise Wed 31-Jul-13 13:58:43

Yes, I've heard about weeing on it helps, not keen to try that.
I don't know if I can use anything on it while on tablets for it.

Tortoise Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:08

I'm worried, I have small itchy bumps on my hands now which look like how it started on my feet. I've read it can be passed to hands.

mayaswell Sat 03-Aug-13 13:35:18

Could it be hand,foot and mouth? Nothing to do with foot and mouth!!

You get a sore tongue and devilishly itchy palms and soles.

Tortoise Sat 03-Aug-13 13:44:52

DDs had that when they were little. It's spreading to along the inside of my fingers. And getting quite itchy. Mouth and soles of feet are fine.

Really looks just like athletes foot started between my toes.

Scared I will pass it to DC.

Tortoise Sat 03-Aug-13 14:25:51

I just did some Googling and I'm wondering if its not athletes foot but Dyshidrotic eczema. Description of how my feet started and are now, sound very like it.
Might start a new thread about it. And will phone drs Monday morning.

CityTiliDie Sun 04-Aug-13 19:55:07

The tablets can cause some alarming side effects including liver failure but dont let that put you off.

Lamisil Once is good, canestan is also pretty effective. Use both twice a day then wear light cotton socks over the top.

The fungus likes to be warm dark and damp so keeping your feet cool, in daylight and dry will help a lot. Walking barefoot on the bearch is every good at a cure too though the resulting frostbite is not (I live in Yorkshire and its fucking freezing here on the beach)

Daily luke wam footbath with 6 drops of tea tree oil will help though onlu 10 mins and let your feet dry naturally not towelled dry. Spray with a 50/50 solution of water and cider vinegar is a more natural remedy and quite effective. I would also reccomend throwing away all your socks tights pop socks etc once it has cleared as you can reinfect yourself very easily. You can boil wash it but that usually does more damage. Spray the insides of all your footwear with the cider vinegar will help too.

Tortoise Sun 04-Aug-13 21:15:29

Thanks for all that info smile.
Was on holiday week before last so lots if bare foot beach walking in sunny Devon. No improvement though.
Finished tablets and as its still not better I'm going to try and see Dr tomorrow and ask about my eczema concern as hands are still spotty and itchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now