Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had a neurectomy?

(87 Posts)
FeetStreet Thu 25-Jul-13 22:13:59

Hi, I'm booked in for a foot neurectomy and have been told it will be very painful... I'd be really grateful to hear anyone else's experiences as it's come along quickly and I'm nervous!

orangeflutie Sun 11-Aug-13 10:47:39

FeetStreet I remember the claustrophobic feeling. Have you been told to just stay in bed? I found what helped me was resting in different places. I sat out in the garden as it was lovely weather at the time and I found I felt less trapped being outside. I was allowed to walk on my heel for very short distances.

I also kept up a routine of having a bath in the morning with my limbo instead of a shower. I do remember shuffling up and downstairs on my bottom though which got quite tiresome after a while.

You just need to keep telling yourself it won't last forever and it really doesn't.

Hope today is a good one x

orangeflutie Sun 11-Aug-13 10:52:09

Footle Good luck this afternoon x

FeetStreet Sun 11-Aug-13 11:03:16

Good luck for tomorrow afternoon then, footle. I'll be thinking of you and hoping it goes well.

Glad it's not just me with the claustrophobia, orangeflutie. I'll try to change locations today (small steps!). It's not helped by the fact that I'm staying at my parents' because dh has taken the children away, and I'm not used to being without them. I feel a bit frozen in time. How was your foot after two weeks, orange? Was it difficult to start walking without crutches? Thanks for your encouragement x

FeetStreet Sun 11-Aug-13 11:08:12

Sorry it's taking me ages to get used to typing on this new-fangled device and to remember the post I was replying to - yes I've been told to keep foot raised for two weeks.

orangeflutie Sun 11-Aug-13 11:32:08

I wasn't allowed crutches as my surgeon thought it would encourage me to do too much. DH felt sorry for me though as I was getting quite miserable so he bought me a pair lol. However much as it was nice to have them though I wasn't very good at using them! DH and my dds had to rapidly move out of the way.

When I went back to the clinic for the first check up I took the crutches, whereupon my surgeon laughed and said I could probably start weight bearing anyway.

orangeflutie Sun 11-Aug-13 11:35:16

Sorry posted too soon. After two weeks I still needed painkillers at times and kept trainers on.

Footle Sun 11-Aug-13 18:33:17

orangeflutie, thanks for continuing to post, it's good to have the view ferom the other side. Your consultants both seem to have been a lot more forthcoming about what to expect than mine. Maybe he will have some helpful advice tomorrow. We have at least cleared the house of grandchildren , and I've made a lot of very sustaining soup.
FeetStreet, you must be missing the children a lot - when do you get to see them next ?

FeetStreet Sun 11-Aug-13 19:46:09

That's cruel to be kind orange! I couldn't have coped without the crutches. I would've thought there was some risk to hopping around with nothing to hold onto, even just on essential trips to the loo ?! It is good to hear how it's been for you after the whole event.

The children are back tmw, and it has been a real test for me. I've looked after them all day every day for the past five years, bar about five days out over that time, so it's been a bit of a baptism of fire, if that's the right phrase, being away from them for this long. I've been watching the athletics so full of clichés!

The pain is good today and I've been able to move toes and ankle quite well where they were a bit seized up before. Good luck for tmw footle, if we don't hear from you before, and update us on how it went smile

Footle Mon 12-Aug-13 22:01:05

I'm home, watch this space tomorrow.

FeetStreet Mon 12-Aug-13 22:25:28

Well done footle, I hope it went well. Have some good rest and look forward to hearing about it tmw.

Footle Tue 13-Aug-13 13:12:40

Think I've just lost a long post, dammit. Will have to try again.

Footle Tue 13-Aug-13 21:29:45

Over 24 hours and still no real pain , more of a swollen lumpy feeling with some twinges. None of that stabbing clunking sharp pain on getting out of bed that I've had for 4 years . Not much lolling about either - surgeon very insistent that the foot should be fully weight-bearing from the start. A big dressing around the foot, to stay in place for two weeks , and a Velcro shoe to protect it. Crutches if I want them but I don't, at least not indoors - lurching gently around is OK, with a stick when I go out.

There are two incisions because he couldn't access both nerves from one incision. This means there is a "skin bridge" between them which may take longer to heal. Two Morton's neuromas ,"peas with three arms each, tangled around the nerves". Mutant peas... As I understand it, each toe has a dual nerve-supply, so removing the nerves with the neuromas will still leave some sensation in the toes. I'm pretty sure I have one starting in the other foot; I shan't leave it so long if so.

I'm totally puzzled as to why FeetStreet has to lie down for two weeks - orangeflutie, did you say you had to as well ? - and I have to keep moving, when we all want the same result, good healing and increased mobility. Is it cos I is old ? Or just a different theory ?

Feet, are you home now or did you have to say goodbye to the littles after their visit ? It's hard either way. Hope you feel OK.

FeetStreet Tue 13-Aug-13 21:54:54

Wow, that's fantastic footle! Sounds like it couldn't have gone better. I'm mystified as to why we'd get such conflicting advice re. keeping the leg up. I was told verbally and in the discharge leaflet that it's important only to be vertical for trips to the loo, not even allowed to prepare own meals. It was explained to me that not allowing it to swell up is an investment in the healing overall, and that the first two weeks will dictate how it will heal longer-term. I would love to be up and about! I'm back in the family home with the children but feel really useless and frustrated at not being able to do everything with them. What were you told, orangeflutie?

I'm glad it went well and you're already feeling better smile

orangeflutie Wed 14-Aug-13 20:18:01

Hello again sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this thread. Have been on a family outing to Thorpe Park today.

Footle It's really good that your op went so well. How are you today?

FeetStreet I hope you're still recovering well.

Very interesting reading about the differing post op advice for both of you. I think if I remember rightly I was told to do minimum walking for the first week and when I did I was told to walk on my heel wearing the support shoe. At the end of the week the big bandage was removed, my foot was cleaned and I was left with a support bandage. I was then told I could start weight bearing so long as I was wearing the support shoe or trainers.
I'm not sure what advice is best in each case; I suspect I drove a bit too early which may have prolonged my recovery slightly. But who knows?

jchocchip Wed 14-Aug-13 20:38:40

Just clocked this thread in active convos. Well done on having the ops feetstreet and footle. Hope you are recovering well. Interesting what you said about the bursas feetstreet.
I have four weeks of anti inflamatories and rest for my bursitis and have to contact gp for referral if doesn't improve.

jchocchip Wed 14-Aug-13 20:40:36

Been on the beach today and my foot is agony sad

Footle Wed 14-Aug-13 20:55:22

Beach, you say. Just as I went under anaesthetic the dr said " so how long have you been walking on pebbles?"

Your plan sounds sensible, if you are able to rest enough to make a difference. Diclofenac ?

I've overdone it today , just tootling about, foot feels huge. Lying down till morning. Also, don't use a 5 yr old Limbo cover - mine leaked a bit during shower. Have ordered another which should arrive tomorrow , they are a brilliant company but product can't last forever. I've needed ibuprofen plus paracetamol a couple of times today , low dose of each.

FeetStreet Wed 14-Aug-13 22:22:09

I feel so annoyed at myself as I'd been so careful, and in the last ten minutes I lost concentration, tripped and fell onto the front of my foot angry It hurts a lot more and feels like I've pulled the scar open. I'm so angry at myself. Sorry I needed to vent that.

Interesting that yours is to do with bursitis jchoc. Sorry if you've said before, but do you have steroid injections and if so, do they work? Walking on the beach is just the worst, isn't it?

I hope the painkillers are helping and that the swelling goes down quickly footle. It sounds like you're doing really well to be able to be up and about without too much discomfort in the moment. In the first few days I could feel the pressure building every minute it took to get a shower and would be desperate to get out and put my foot up asap.

Hope you had a lovely time at Thorpe Park, orange. Mmm, days out {fantasises}

FeetStreet Wed 14-Aug-13 23:10:22

Ooh orangeflutie I also wanted to ask, when you say you think you might have driven too early, how early was that?

jchocchip Thu 15-Aug-13 07:19:07

I'm on naproxen, a nsaid. Never heard of them before. Haven't had any injections. How is the foot today feetstreet?

orangeflutie Thu 15-Aug-13 09:53:51

FeetStreet I think it was the weekend at the end of the first week once the big bandage was off. DH was away and I needed to get out with the dds.

Try not to worry about pulling the scar, it's a horrible feeling though and I'm sure I did something similar. I lost my balance and it's automatic to put your foot down to save yourself.

Footle It's so easy to do a bit too much. Hope the pain settles down today.

Jochocchip Hope you have some relief from pain today too.

FeetStreet Thu 15-Aug-13 11:51:52

Yes that's exactly what happened orangeflutie, caught off-balance and instinctively put my foot down. It feels ok, thanks jchoc, not as good as before, probably back to how it felt 2-3 days after the op. I'm frustrated at myself! Bandage being changed tmw so I hope they'll give an indication of how it's doing.

It's so hard not being able to drive with the children, isn't it?! A friend's very kindly taken my ds to the zoo with her children today, and I wish I could go and check up on him!

I'm sure the steroid injections I mentioned must do some good in the majority of cases, jchoc, but I was wondering if you were having them as from what I've read on here they've worsened things.

Hope you're doing well footle?

Footle Thu 15-Aug-13 18:08:02

Just heard that because of the bank holiday I have to wait an extra week to have the dressing off and stitches removed - 3 weeks altogether. I hope the stitches won't be very hard to remove by then.

I've been taken out to a low-key social event and coped OK with the excitement and the small amount of walking involved. Got my new Limbo, so tomorrow's shower won't involve parcel-tape .. Foot is not comfortable but it's mostly not painful either, so I'm very relieved.

FeetStreet I should think the bed-rest will make stumbling more likely as your muscles and balance get out of practice. Are you doing any ankle exercises in bed ? Take it easy as you eventually get back to normal. So hard to know what's too much and what's too little. And hard not being able to go out with , or even feed, the children.

orangeflutie, glad you had a good day out. Thanks for the info about how this went for you - your instructions seem to have been neatly in between FtSt's and mine.

FeetStreet Fri 16-Aug-13 23:01:26

Oh dear re. the wait for stitches out footle. You'll know better than I do what kind of a difference that will make, but it feels to me like a countdown every day, so having that extended would be frustrating.

I had my bandage changed today and my foot feels worse than it has done for many days. Like my toes joints are being squished together and they're rubbing inside and one of them is trying to pop up to get out of the crush. I can't quite bear it. Is it normal?

Yes I'm doing exercises whilst keeping leg raised - sit ups, leg raises etc., trying not to get too sedentary, although with this pain it's harder. I've been told I can be up for 10 minutes in every hour this week, which will be better at least!

Have a lovely weekend!

Footle Sat 17-Aug-13 21:27:02

No energy today, and foot demands to be elevated. Are you keeping your above heart-level or just bed-level ?
Sorry you're having such pain and other nasty sensations. Is the 10 mins out of bed helping or hindering ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now