Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

strange blisters on feet

(19 Posts)
Biscuitsneeded Wed 24-Jul-13 21:11:25

Every summer I get blisters all over my feet. They are itchy and bit sore, and fluid filled, but have not come about as a result of pressure from shoes or anything; they just appear. Then eventually they burst and become strange red dot that eventually disappears. What on earth is this? It seems to trivial to make a GP or nurse appointment; I'm not ill, but they are itchy and annoying.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 24-Jul-13 21:14:54

Pompholyx eczema? Usually affects the hands but can affect the feet too.

Biscuitsneeded Wed 24-Jul-13 21:18:50

Could be, but they are not as widespread as the picture (perhaps just a mild case) but the really distinctive feature is the red dot that appears once they have burst. Have googled blisters and red dots and not found anything. Perhaps I am unique??!

MoreThanWords Wed 24-Jul-13 21:20:23

There have been loads of threads on this recently! I get it on the sides of my fingers as well as my feet. I got some Eumovate cream which helps a bit but some other hydrocortisone cream I already had in my drawer stops my feet itching and helps clear the skin up faster.

Julezboo Wed 24-Jul-13 21:21:18

I have this too, its very itchy n annoying!! cold flannels and lanacane cream helps me x

idiot55 Wed 24-Jul-13 21:21:29

Hand foot and mouth.

Doesn't necessarily have to be on all three places

BikeRunSki Wed 24-Jul-13 21:24:09

I've got it too I think - hands and feet, but not at all itchy.

notnowImreading Wed 24-Jul-13 21:28:40

It's athlete's foot. Don't put hydrocortisone on it - makes it worse. Use lamasil on it for a week and it will mostly clear up, although it might well come back. I get it all the time when it is hot but have finally worked out how to make it not itchy.

Julezboo Wed 24-Jul-13 21:28:53

Not hand foot and mouth, blisters/spots are completely different. smile My hands have just cleared up but my right foot is in a right state at the moment. sad

Biscuitsneeded Wed 24-Jul-13 21:54:14

It can't be Hand, Foot and mouth. Not unless It's possible to get it every summer! If it's athlete's foot it's not like any athlete's foot I've ever had before. One or two blisters on the sides of toes but others on the tips of toes, middle of soles of feet etc. Shall I try some Daktacort or will that make things worse?

notnowImreading Wed 24-Jul-13 22:03:07

I know - I was astonished too. Yours sounds exactly like mine and I made so much fuss after years of itching that my GP send skin samples off to the path lab and lo and behold, tinea pedis.

Just try an anti-fungal for three days and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you can try a steroid then. If you use a steroid on a fungal infection it can apparently make the fungus mutate and become harder to identify and treat so for feet it's always worth trying anti-fungal cream before any other treatment, especially before anything designed for eczema.

Biscuitsneeded Wed 24-Jul-13 22:06:01

So, out of date clotrimazole rather than daktacort?

tabbycat15 Thu 25-Jul-13 03:55:29

You could always show it/ explain symptoms to a pharmacist rather than seeing a Dr. There is probably something OTC that you could use.

EugenesAxe Thu 25-Jul-13 04:21:58

I have to say my first thought was also athlete's foot. It has presented as blisters on DH's feet before.

It is raining... I feel like Jean de Florette listening to its blessed relief.

LongGoneBeforeDaylight Fri 26-Jul-13 00:41:56

Coeliac disease? Google the rash associated with it. Dermatitis hep-something..... Itchy blisters. You might eat more wheat in the summer?!

CityTiliDie Sat 27-Jul-13 19:26:50

Its TINEA PEDIS. these are bog standard symptoms and its very common especially in warmer weather.

I see this at least once a day in my foot health clinic.

Lamisil Once or canestan cream works well though for a more natural remedy cider vinegar in a foot bath twice a day will help as will tea tree oil.

MoreThanWords Sat 27-Jul-13 22:08:06

But if there are the same symptoms on fingers .....?

NotAQueef Sat 27-Jul-13 22:19:55

It sounds just like what I get every summer and was diagnosed as dyshidrotic eczema it affects hands and feet, my feet current look similar to the picture though blisters have dried and are flaking (nice).

Only really get it very mild on fingers where tiny blisters appear but no discomfort

nobeer Sat 27-Jul-13 22:48:59

I get pompholyx eczema on my feet and hands every summer, and in exactly the same place. If you find an amazing cure please let me know! I go through a cycle of blisters, itching, burst blisters (after stupidly scratching) and really sore feet. A cold pack helps relieve the itching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now