Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Desperate for 88 year old mum to travel. Can't get insurance.

(19 Posts)
LittleEsme Fri 19-Jul-13 23:04:03

Hello there
My 88 year old Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months ago. She's gutted, because, after a really, really hard life of being a carer, looking after herself, eating well, taking exercise, having a really good mental attitude, she really hoped to see her twilight years through 'naturally'.

She's undergone a full mastectomy and recovered with admirable speed. She complains about nothing. She really is an absolute legend.

She's meant to be flying out to France to meet us next month - we've done it for years (we spend a month there, she flies out for a week). But can't seem to find insurance cheaper than £1600!

help!

LittleEsme Fri 19-Jul-13 23:05:48

Sorry - pressed send too soon.

Biopsy of lymph nodes shows that 2 out of 4 have cancer cells. She's due further treatment next month.

MrsBungle Fri 19-Jul-13 23:07:22

Try age uk - they do insurance for older people.

LittleEsme Fri 19-Jul-13 23:13:03

Thanks MrsBungle, I'll look now.

queenofthepirates Fri 19-Jul-13 23:17:24
fluffysticks Fri 19-Jul-13 23:31:05

Try www.world-first.co.uk I got my Mum (83)a weeks travel insurance to visit Canada for £350 when everywhere else was quoting over £1000. She has high blood pressure, asthma and has had a heart attack in the past. The excess was high but you would gladly pay that if you took ill.

Graciescotland Fri 19-Jul-13 23:32:06

Wouldn't an EHIC card be enough really?

Naoko Fri 19-Jul-13 23:42:34

It really wouldn't. An EHIC card only covers you for emergency treatment, not for anything that might be necessary after that but not A&E territory. Crucially, it does not cover repatriation - so if for whatever reason you need to be flown home on a medical flight, with a doctor accompanying you, you'd better be properly insured or you'll need to find several tens of thousands of pounds yourself. It's just not a risk worth taking!

OP, no further suggestions, but I see you've had some links from other people. Hope you find something so your mum can travel smile

Thymeout Sat 20-Jul-13 00:07:21

One of the cancer charities, eg Macmillan, might be able to advise?

LittleEsme Sat 20-Jul-13 06:42:41

Thank you everyone.
Age concern can't insure her, but they've made a few suggestions on their web-site. I have quite a few areas to explore now, so thanks!

sashh Sat 20-Jul-13 07:30:02

Try the post office.

My mum was quoted £1K then went to the post office and it was much much cheaper. Mum is diabetic and has terminal breast cancer and is 73.

LittleEsme Sat 20-Jul-13 21:52:55

Things are not looking good. Almost all the insurance companies I've tried won't let me pursue with getting a quotation once I've declared that my Mum is awaiting further treatment, even though her Consultant is really happy and keen for her to have a break away.

It's only for a week, for crying out loud. I could cry.

malteserzz Sat 20-Jul-13 22:04:54

Have you looked on the breast cancer care site ? There are loads of companies mentioned on there you could try
Good luck

queenofthepirates Sun 21-Jul-13 19:27:45

Honestly, I would wing it. France really isn't that far and what are the chances she'll really come acropper?

BrianTheMole Sun 21-Jul-13 19:30:29

Have you tried freedom insurance. My dh has cancer and we got insurance through that. It was expensive, a couple of hundred pounds I think.

jalopy Mon 22-Jul-13 17:45:22

Try Saga.

maddy68 Tue 30-Jul-13 12:50:45

I would wing it as well, its only france - easy to get back from

greeneyed Tue 30-Jul-13 12:59:05

Please don't go without insurance! Just don't..

minmooch Tue 30-Jul-13 16:19:13

Hi Op - try InsureCancer they were one of the only companies that would insure my ds to travel but that was because he was between end of one chemo treatment plan and prior to starting another.

Cancer does not choose who it lands on - my DS was just days before his 16th birthday when he got his diagnosis for brain cancer. Cancer does not care how old, how young, how good a life you have led, or bad for that matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now