Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Living With Adhesions - Support Group

(35 Posts)
JohFlow Sun 14-Jul-13 17:45:35

Anyone out there living with internal adhesions post - surgery?

I have had extensive adhesions for three years following surgery and later 'keyhole' adhesion seperation. Adhesions seem to be almost a 'hidden' disease despite being so common. There are few avenues to follow for long-term and effective pain relief/remedy. We may look 'normal' on the outside; yet experience extra challenges on a daily basis.

Please share your stories or views on the subject. Hopefully we can support each other.

Artistic Wed 28-May-14 15:37:29

I've had adhesions in childhood. Am not sure if adhesions led to surgery for me or the other way round. I've had 3 major bowel surgeries up to the age of 15, but nothing after that. When I had DC1 I was very keen to not have a c-section as I didn't want to 'wake up' the sleeping demons. luckily i didn't need it. Now pregnant with DC2 & praying that I get away with a vaginal birth this time too.

My surgeon had advised me that more surgeries lead to more adhesions, and if the person is not in pain then a surgeon (who may be operating in an area) should let the adhesions 'be' rather than try to remove them.

Has anyone had a recurrence of adhesions only because of c-section, with no problems before that?

LovelyBath Fri 30-May-14 12:03:14

Hi Artistic, it's good to hear that your adhesions settled down, even after major bowel surgery. I've also had major bowel surgery and after several episodes of problems they have thankfully got a bit better.

I am not sure about adhesions after c section however maybe someone else will know. I do think that a second birth can often be easier that the first though and as you had a vaginal birth the first time there is a good chance it will be OK (unless there is something unpredictable like a breech baby of course)

Take care and good luck for the pregnancy

Artistic Sun 01-Jun-14 13:06:27

Thank you LovelyBath & wish you a trouble free stomach for the future.

LovelyBath Tue 03-Jun-14 21:06:47

I just remembered that when I spoke to the surgeons about a possible pregnancy after the adhesions surgery they said that if I needed a c section they would recommend getting one planned rather than an emergency due to the adhesions if possible. (eg breech) so it might be worth mentioning the adhesions or possibility of them to your doctors. I think it was mainly as in an emergency situation it may take a while to deal with the adhesions but hopefully none of this will affect you x

MistressMouse Tue 10-Jun-14 20:58:05

I'm going to jump in. I've frozen pelvis, with my bowel, ovary and Fallopian tube stuck together. I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2003 which didn't help with adhesions but my consultant said at that time my insides were an established adhesion mess.
I had an emergency c section in 2005 with a ruptured bowel which has made things worse.
I am in constant pain.

LovelyBath Tue 10-Jun-14 22:30:29

Hey MistressMouse I've just found a good support group for adhesions and there are quite a few like yourself, it is here come and join us if you like xx ps horrible thing isn't it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/414454158602482/

Artistic Wed 11-Jun-14 08:23:49

LovelyBath - that's fantastic advice. I will speak to my consultant in advance. Am also tempted to go private for the delivery for this reason alone.

HowsTheSerenity Wed 11-Jun-14 08:27:33

Oh thank jebus! Im not the only one. I have horrible adhesions and no one else I know does.
I get the most horrible stabbing pain in my right side just under my ribs which is only relieved by pushing very hard. Buscopan and nurofen are useless.

PeoniesforMissAnnersley Tue 12-Aug-14 14:40:25

Hello all,

I've been having recurrent episodes of bad abdo pain with back pain (5 episodes since April, each one lasting between 2-4 days). I had an emergency appendectomy in January and I am convinced the pain is caused by something to do with surgery - my GP thinks adhesion(s) around my bowel causing temporary obstructions which then clear.

I have an appointment with a colo-rectal consultant tomorrow and am asking for colonoscopy to rule out internal infections/issue with surgery site and also laparascopy to see if adhesions are the problem. Anything else I should ask for?

The pain is very bad - I usually can't eat for 2ish days, sometimes vomit and find pain meds don't take the edge off it. The pain is also noticeably worse if I do eat when I am ill. I'd decsribe it as a strong cramping pain near the appendix site, with pains elsewhere in the bowel, extreme bloating and back pain on the same side as the appendix which is so severe I can't lie flat.

LovelyBath Thu 14-Aug-14 20:56:05

Hi Peonies, Serenity, sorry to hear you have adhesions too. Horrible isn't it? I've had several obstructions Peony, it does sound similar how you describe it. I've been told if get bad pains to 'rest' the bowel for a few hours, and to take care with fibre that's about it really oh, and if get very bad pain especially with vomiting to go into hospital as you may get dehydrated and they would want to monitor you to make sure it settles down. If not, you may need an operation to free the trapped bowel. The real problem is that if they go in and cut them, they very often reform and sometimes even more form with each surgery so it is a tricky problem.

I'm at the stage where they don't want to operate further as it would be tricky due to the amount of adhesions, so am learning to deal with this problems being a chronic one, which is not easy. Surgery only if life threatening obstruction :-( Am keeping in touch with a lovely colorectal surgeon in a nearby hospital who has given me an open referral in case of needing admission and getting pain relief (amitryptilline) from GP and low fibre diet is helping. They say I now have something called a 'conglomerate' which means organs all stuck together which is causing the cramps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now