Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help me gain weight!

(29 Posts)
nellyjelly Fri 12-Jul-13 15:45:43

This isn't a stealth boast but I am very thin. Been to docs and there is nothing wrong with me other than a low BMI.

I am quite tall and pre kids was a size 10/12 around 9 to 9.5 stone. I didn't gain much weight with DC1 and when she was born she was a voracious feeder and I lost around a stone. Took me about 2 years to get back to a good weight. Then had DC2 and same thing happened. However this time I just can't seem to put the weight back on, it is like my metabolism is screwed up. Though seems to be no health issue.

I am currently 8 stone and take a size 6 to 8. I look scrawny and none of my clothes fit.

I eat quite healthily, my preference is for good food so stuffing myself with chips is a non starter. Plus don't eat meat which probably doesn't help.

Today I had rice krispies and full fat milk for breakfast plus slice of toast and butter, a costa latte, a cheese salad roll and a snickers for lunch and for tea will have risotto or pasta and tomato sauce. I will snack on crisps and biscuits at will. I deny myself nothing and have a sweet tooth so often eat cakes and chocolate.

Am wondering what will help me put on weight healthily. Should I buy protein drinks like body builders? Or should I ask doc to refer me to a dietician?

Any ideas?

ToffeeWhirl Thu 18-Jul-13 16:14:52

I had the same problem. I look so thin in the photos taken when DC were little and no matter what I did I couldn't put the weight back on. I think it is just really hard work looking after little children and burns the fat off. Seven years on, I am now a healthy weight and am actually trying to lose a bit (in search of a flat stomach).

My DS1 is very underweight and I saw a nutritionist for advice. Her advice could be useful to you. She said he should eat three meals and three snacks a day. He is also having one drink of Complan every day. Everything I give him is full fat and I also add fat to just about everything, eg. dressing on salad, cream in porridge, extra butter on baked potatoes, with cheese on top as well. Always include cream, ice cream or custard with pudding.

honalulu Thu 18-Jul-13 16:21:49

I am also trying to put on weight and this warm weather means I feel so self conscious wearing less as people stare and I can imagine they're making some untrue judgements.

My only dairy source is milk (whole) and I just wondered how much is enough / too much to have (i'm around 5ft2, 20's, but need to gain quite a bit)?

Re: breakfast, I can also recommend Dorset Cereal Honey Granola!

buildingmycorestrength Thu 18-Jul-13 17:08:44

Eating six times a day is really good for you, as long as overweight people exercise portion control. Good for blood sugar, etc. It might be an idea to think like a hobbit and introduce second breakfasts and so on!

Lagoonablue Thu 18-Jul-13 19:43:19

Thanks everyone.

Romann I think pregnancy messed with my metabolism a bit too. I was always slim but could gain weight. After DD took almost 4 years to gain weight then got pg again and back to square one. When I was BFing it was ridiculous how skinny I was. I was eating tons too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now