Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Been offered tamoxifen as a preventative measure due to high risk, would anyone help me make a decision?

(6 Posts)
PareyMortas Tue 09-Jul-13 18:01:22

I have a higher risk of having breast cancer due to family history and have been told that my risk is 1 in 4. I have annual Mamograms and was told that I would qualify for preventative surgery. Unfortunately I don't fall within the guidelines to have genetic screening as my family history is all at my grandparents generation, there is only one woman ie my mother in the generation above me and she hasn't had it. This doesn't fit the guidelines.

The tamoxifen apparently has a 40% chance of preventing BC, it also has side effects mostly hot flushes and discharge. I don't know anyone who has been on tamoxifen and would love to hear some experiences before I decide what to do.

DorisIsWaiting Tue 09-Jul-13 18:16:22

Watching as I need to look into this as do my sisters.

Maternal GM died aged 44 of breast cancer, maternal aunt had it 57 treated sucessfully fingers crossed. I know my mum goes for checks every year but I am way too young (37).

KurriKurri Tue 09-Jul-13 19:27:55

I am on tamoxifen for breast cancer (there is a tamoxifen/BC thread always running in health - everyone on there will be happy to answer any questions you have)

I found the side effects worse in the first six months to 1 year - mainly hot flushes, you can add an element of control into the side effects by taking your tablet later in the day. I'd had a hysterectomy and was past the age of childbearing anyway when I got BC, - but I believe there are effects on fertility which you would have to discuss with your doctor.

I can tell you that having had BC, I would do anything I could to prevent it and would jump at the chance of something which might improve my odds of not getting it (obviously too late for me, but I see this new initiative of using tamoxifen as a preventative measure as a big step forward in dealing with this horrible disease)

KurriKurri Tue 09-Jul-13 19:29:14
PareyMortas Tue 09-Jul-13 20:22:28

Thank you Kurri, I think I'll lurk on that thread rather than post - I don't want to seem insensitive as I'm in a prevention rather than cure position.

malteserzz Tue 09-Jul-13 20:31:14

I agree with Kurri I have BC I would have done anything to prevent it. Dong be worried about posting on the thread we have people worried about family members and all sorts, everyone is welcome
Good luck with making your decision

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now