Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis

(5 Posts)
ephemeralfairy Tue 09-Jul-13 12:02:03

On the second day of it now. Yesterday had temperature, headache, painful joints etc and one massive tonsil. I went into work but had to leave at 10. Went to doc who prescribed cefalexin as I'm allergic to penicillin. I didn't sleep much last night as my temp was still up and I kept waking with the sensation that I couldn't breathe. Today I'm still achey, tired and both tonsils and uvula are enormous and so painful, it's actually affecting my speech.
I'm taking ibuprofen with my antibiotics every four hours but they aren't really touching it!
Any good tips/remedies?? I'm absolutely starving!! I managed half a bowl of tomato soup last night and am going to try a banana smoothie in a bit but I can't face anything else.
Thanks!

Metalhead Tue 09-Jul-13 15:14:33

I feel for you! I had it in May and hadn't been this ill for a long time. I read on here about gargling with salt water (mix a spoon of salt with a glass of warm water). It helped a little bit, though it is quite disgusting. Just make sure you keep on top of your painkillers. You can alternate paracetamol with ibuprofen too. Hope you feel better soon!

IndigoBarbie Tue 09-Jul-13 15:29:20

I feel for you too, as I'm on the tail end of the what's been left behind after the sore throat goes. I was in my bed a few weeks ago and honest to god, I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. My neck was gigantically swollen, as was my throat sad my whole body shivering with a low temperature swinging up to a fever and back again. Like achy pain flu and I stank of poisonus yuck......I had to alternate paracetomol with the ibuprofen & penicillin on a 2 hourly basis. ie 12pm 2 paracetomol, 2pm 2 ibuprofen with antibiotics etc. I couldn't eat much either sad
Please rest as much as you can, I am about to start a thread to ask about dizziness and pain at the back of the head.......
Dr said, as long as fluids are kept up then don't worry about not eating. I wish you love and happy vibes, as it's bloody miserable xxxx

ephemeralfairy Tue 09-Jul-13 15:59:09

Thank you for the solidarity! Was just starting to feel really miserable, stuck in bed in the sweltering heat!

I did try the salt water last time I had it but it made me gag and almost throw up. I will have another go and try not to be such a wimp!

Ah so you don't need to leave 4 hours if alternating different painkillers? I will give that a go too.

I get this beastly thing at least once a year and it seems to be getting worse every time. I've heard that it's very hard to get tonsils removed as an adult which strikes me as daft because if post here are anything to go by it's pretty awful for adults!

Wishing all a speedy recovery!

Graciescotland Tue 09-Jul-13 16:08:34

You can have multiple painkillers. I found soluble aspirin worked really well for tonsillitis; gargle before it goes down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now