Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Confused after GP visit

(30 Posts)
puffinnuffin Tue 09-Jul-13 10:48:37

I have just been to the GP about a breast lump I have had for 20 years. I think it has changed and is now painful if it is bumped. I can't sleep comfortably on that side. My Mum had breast cancer last year.

GP was very blank and non committal and just told me I needed to get it referred and checked at a breast clinic. She didn't tell me how to go about this or what would happen next. I have private health insurance. I don't know if I have to wait for a letter or phone someone or what. At this point she stood up and I was ushered out the door!

I have just got home and burst into tears and am now in a state. GP wasn't caring or friendly and I am now thinking maybe it is really awful.

Please can anyone advise me what is supposed to happen next?! Thanks.

jchocchip Fri 19-Jul-13 08:29:10

All the best puffin

puffinnuffin Fri 19-Jul-13 22:31:03

Thank you. Had mammogram, ultra sound and core biopsy done today. They think it is very likely to be fibrocystic changes (?) but wanted to do the core biopsy just in case. Results on Tuesday.

Sparklingbrook Fri 19-Jul-13 22:38:09

Well done puffin. Quite an examination then? Not too long for the results. Have you got anything nice and distracting to do this weekend?

jchocchip Sat 20-Jul-13 22:50:38

Yes well done puffin waiting for results is horrible but at least you are getting them on Tuesday and the early indications are good. My surgeon at the one stop clinic was pretty sure mine was cancer and told me to go home and have a stiff drink! +ve vibes for Tuesday. Let us know how you get on... fibroademas and cysts wouldn't need treatment I think. I had a lump removed in 2010 and treatment was straightforward. Support from the tamoxifen threads on here has been great too.

jchocchip Tue 23-Jul-13 17:32:33

How did you get on puffin? Thinking of you..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now