Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mole Removal

(8 Posts)

I am having a mole removed from my back and was wondering if anyone could answer my questions please. Local anesthetic, been told not to drive that day. The dermatologist is pretty sure it's not cancerous thank goodness.
Is it best to have a couple of days off work?
Will it hurt when the anesthetic wears off?
What aftercare might be involved?
How will I feel?
Thanks in advance.
(People who think they recognise me from RL, I have namechanged)

Bump before bed.
smile

digerd Tue 09-Jul-13 11:02:57

I had a malignant melanoma removed, so not just a mole. So mine was sore as was the left arm on which I sleep. Otherwise, was fine. Didn't feel a thing after the local and that wasn't painful either. After 2 weeks I had the stitches out and the results.
DR even showed me the long root it had which he had removedhmm.
Good luck

puffinnuffin Tue 09-Jul-13 12:28:06

Hi I had a large mole removed from my shoulder a few years ago under LA. I didn't look and it was fine. I think it was a little sore afterwards but nothing unbearable-more discomfort than pain. I don't remember it stopping me doing anything.

Thanks. Hoping it is just a big, funny coloured mole, the dermatologist said it was unlikely to be cancerous so I'm working on the logic that they wouldn't say things like that unless very sure. Stops me worrying so much.
Just taking the one day off work, I can always ring in or go home if I do have any after effects the next day.

eurozammo Tue 09-Jul-13 15:07:50

I recently had a cyst removed, so a similar process, I think. It was also done under local.

Is it best to have a couple of days off work?
I was off work the day of the procedure but back the next day. I did get an aura migrane the next day - I mentioned it to the nurse when I had the stitches out and she said that it can be a reaction to the local. It lasted for about half an hour and I just sat still and quiet and it passed.
Will it hurt when the anesthetic wears off?
Mine was a bit sore but not really painful. I didn't feel the need to take painkillers. I was very nervous about it being knocked on public transport though as I really didn't want the stitches pulled (they were on my face and I was concerned about scarring).
What aftercare might be involved?
None. I had a piece of tape put over the stitches, went back a few days later to get the stitches out, and another piece of tape was put over it for a few days and that was it. I have chosen to use kelocote gel and massage the scar twice a day to try to improve the appearance because of where it is.
How will I feel?
I felt very nervous before (having someone take a scalpel to your face is a bit ARGH) and a bit wobbly afterwards, but I was able to walk the 10 mins to the tube and get the train home, taking it slowly. I felt slightly shaky for a few hours afterwards but generally fine.

digerd Tue 09-Jul-13 15:35:56

DH was waiting for me outside in the car and drove me home. I wouldn't have wanted to travel on public transport, and yes I did feel a bit wobbly afterwards, but not as bad as some dental work I have had which had very painful after effects for days.!

Trinpy Tue 09-Jul-13 16:11:48

I had a large mole removed a few years ago and was back at work the next day. Mole was on my abdomen, so a bit sore when it rubbed against my clothes, but otherwise fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now