Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Guttate psoriasis- can anyone advise me?

(12 Posts)
leolion Mon 08-Jul-13 20:28:53

My dd aged 7 has just been diagnosed with this by a private dermatologist after 3 months of seeing gp's and being misdiagnosed as pityriasis rosea. I wondered whether anyone had experience of it and could share it here. I've obviously done the worst thing possible and consulted Dr Google who has painted quite a pessimistic picture!

I just wondered whether those of you who have had it, or whose children have had it, recovered in a reasonable length of time and have you all had relapses? We have no history of psoriasis in the family. My dd had a bad bout of tonsillitis prior to this outbreak and I understand this is what has triggered it. I'm particularly worried as she has it very badly in her scalp and is losing her hair. The dermatologist has prescribed some potent scalp lotion (Elocon) but she can only use this for 5 days due to the steroid content. We can't afford to go back to see the derm privately so will be seen by a derm on the NHS when an appointment comes up.

Would be grateful for any advice anyone has. My dd is not really bothered by it ( thank goodness) and we are obviously playing it down to her, but it is so noticeable and we are concerned.

MegaClutterSlut Mon 08-Jul-13 23:17:02

Hi I have guttate psoriasis and tbh I have never been clear apart from when I had uvb treatment but it came back within a month. Mine are mainly on my legs with a few patches elsewhere. I did have it on my scalp but it cleared by itself after a few months

There are certain foods that can cause psoriasis to flare and for me, one is definitely tomatoes but there is whole list of foods that may cause flare ups for your DD so it may be worth googling and slowly cutting them out to see if it improves?

unfortunately for me not a lot has helped me apart from sun exposure not that i'd get my legs out in public so sweating like a pig in this heat but everyone is different smile

TabithaMcKitten Tue 09-Jul-13 00:02:17

Hi

I'm sorry to read about your daughter. My husband had guttate psoriasis aftter a bout of flu almost four years ago. I can't remember how long it lasted, but it wasn't terribly long; a few months I think. He has not had any problems or recurrences since.

I hope you can notice a difference soon.

sashh Tue 09-Jul-13 06:33:30

Not guttate but I have psoriasis, always on my scalp often elsewhere. I use alphosyl shampoo, you can buy it or you can get it on prescription.

When it gets bad I use nother thing - the name escapes me.

I too lost hair, and at the time the psoriasis was pustular - not pretty, the hair does come back.

I have plaque and guttate psoriasis and have had since i was tiny. Guttate always follows a bacterial infection for me. On her scalp if it is spreading beyond tiny dots it is likely to be plaque (which can follow on)

Cocois ointment can be good. It's very messy and a bit smelly but it really does help with the scaling. Coal tar baths are also good (but it can be hard to get hold of) and coal tar shampoo (from boots shelves). My dermatologist also recommends that I get out in the sunshine and expose all my psoriasisy bits daily (but do not let her burn!! A few minutes without suncream only)

Her hair loss won't be permanent. It's just temporary and the scaling makes it seem worse.

My dermatologist has written to my gp and every time I get even a potential bacterial infection I'm supposed to get antibiotics to nip it in the bud. I had my tonsils out in my 20s and ENT said that my repeated psoriasis flares due to tonsillitis were a very valid reason for having them out.

I'd also talk to her teacher and ask her to chat to the other kids about how it isn't contagious, it's just skin growing too quickly. Once kids know what it is then at that age they can be very accepting.

digerd Tue 09-Jul-13 11:31:12

My DD had her first break out - all over her body- after having 4 baby teeth out. One was infected and didn't stop bleeding. Her lips were stuck together in the morning with congealed blood shock. She was 8.
I had to bath her everynight in a coal tar solution and wash her hair in the same shampoo form.
She eventually had to go on a steroid cream which worked.
She had her Tonsils out at 14 as they thought that could be contributing to her occurrances of it.

She has mild flare ups especially when stressed, mostly on her elbows, but does not bother her.

Supersesame Tue 09-Jul-13 11:40:18

My DH had tonsilitis about 4 months ago followed by guttate psorisisis. The psorisis didn't appear until about 3 weeks after the tonsilitis was gone. He had it all over his body. Literally everywhere even on the palms of his hands (even though Google said you can't get it here)

GP initially thought it was a reaction to the anti-biotics. It was only when it got steadily worse that he got the diagnosis.
He treated it for about a week with steroids then followed that with cold tar (and stayed in spare bedroom) for about 2-3 weeks.
It faded and today I can see some red blotches on his back but it has mostly gone.
The most effective treatment was the sun.
He was outdoors for a couple of days and the exposed areas cleared up much quicker than the rest of his body. It went from scabby to scaley then peeled and left red spots.
I know he is more suseptible to it now that he has had it once but so far no new appearances.
Awful having it in this hot weather when its difficult to hide it.

I think its really important to teach a very positive attitude to children who have it. My parents were brilliant about making me not mind and even though I did get bullied about it in Junior school by some kids, my friends were fine about it and so even when I have a severe outbreak I don't cover up - I am not ashamed.

The only thing that does bother me is when my scalp flakes on to other things. That I've not been able to overcome, but using lots of emollients like coal tar and coconut oil keeps that under control.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 09-Jul-13 13:17:03

My dd (9) had her second attack in December again following a bout of tonsillitis. Her torso was covered, but scalp was not badly affected and has now cleared apart from one stubborn area on her leg.

Our Gp has adviced antibiotics every time she has a sore throat with a temperature to avoid another attack.

We had a positve attitude with our dd and she was not too upset, probably helped by us having a friend with Epidermolysis bullosa which is a nasty condition.

Try and get her to spend some time in the sunlight as this will help.

CanYouGetDownPlease Tue 09-Jul-13 13:29:47

Sorry to hear about your daughter OP, I too was diagnosed with Guttate Psorosis aged 7 after a throat infection, and then whopping cough. I have never been totally clear since, usually a patch or so on a arm / knee. My biggest flares were ages 7 and 15. When I am tired and run down I become much more susceptible. My scalp used to be a real issue too, I was very embarrassed and felt people looking - tar shampoo helps. Time in the sunlight too. I eventually went on to have UV therapy, and then Neoral - a steroid used to suppress the immune system. That was quite a drastic option though, and I am sure your daughter will not need this. Really truly, I found the most beneficial treatment to be homeopathy. Most scoff, but I know what works for me. I was head to toe at one point, and as a teenager you can imagine how self-conscious I became. I was totally clear for the first time in a decade after I started homeopathic remedies, I still see my homeopath now and it's been kept at bay for almost another decade. Good luck to you and your DD.

leolion Tue 09-Jul-13 18:18:37

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge- it's really useful. I realise there is a good chance that this could turn into a chronic problem for her, especially as her scalp is no longer a few dots but a large area of psoriasis. Thanks again everyone and I've taken on board all the tips that everyone has given here. I even made my dh read it and he NEVER reads mumsnet ( or so he says!).

FerrisBueller1972 Tue 09-Jul-13 18:25:46

I have had guttate before after a period of severe stress. Compketely covered my body so I had the PUVA treatment twice a week at hospital for about 6 months and it did eventually clear. I also have psoriasis on elbows, knees and scalp. All I now use is emollient and steroid cream when it's really flaring up. Agree re the sunshine, and sea water really helps.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I do feel for your dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now