Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why has my ear got a little mouse stuck in it?

(17 Posts)

I'm sure I must have a teeny little baby mouse stuck in my ear or something, because for the past week or so I've been hearing teeny tiny little squeaks over and over in the one ear. They are completely unrelated to anything that I'm doing.

I dont have any ear problems. Have splendid hearing (though it feels a little bit not so splendid in that ear at the moment). Did have surgery under GA 3 weeks ago but that was not my ear, it was my eye.

Any ideas or cures?

could it be medication related? <clutches at straws>

LEMisdisappointed Mon 08-Jul-13 15:39:20

Forgive me if i have this wrong but aren't you on citalopram? sorry if im thinking of another poster but if so, then it might be related as it can cause tinitus otherwise, wax?

no, must be another poster smile . Am on various eye drops and some heart meds (which are long term)

It could be ear wax I suppose. Not had a problem with it before. Perhaps i should try some olive oil in it?

Poledra Mon 08-Jul-13 15:51:21

I thought mice were scared of cats grin Oh, except for one - you've got Jerry living in there!

So I need to wave cheese at my ear to get it out? grin

DevonCiderPunk Mon 08-Jul-13 19:13:53

Yes a blocked ear can squeak. Please don't put anything in it or buy over-the-counter stuff <voice of experience>

Then what do I do? I can't go to the gp saying I've got a squeaky ear, I see them often enough for other stuff and this is just a small annoyance.

RubyThePirate Mon 08-Jul-13 22:40:51

I once had a squeaky ear, which then turned very painful. It felt for all the world like something was in there; it turned out there was indeed a very big insect wedged in my ear canal.

Apparently, it's not as unusual an occurrence as you'd hope.

I would get it checked.

Really? Ok, I'm back at my gps on Friday (again) I will ask her to take a peek. I don't want my eat to become a small habitat.

Not eat. Ear.

digerd Tue 09-Jul-13 11:16:50

It may be related to your eye op. The eyes, ears, nose and throat are all connected. My guess is wax especially if its the ear on the same side as your eye that was operated on.

I am intrigued as to which insect squeaks Ruby? shock

<scream> ruby that's terrifying! shock

bizarrely its on the opposite side.
<whispers> I think it may be gone. I think I just needed to moan about it to get my body to listen and stop being silly. grin

RubyThePirate Wed 10-Jul-13 15:38:22

It was a truly horrible experience.

I was at a festival, sleeping in a tent, and what turned out to be a big, black beetle crawled so far into my ear canal that its back end wasn't even visible (I was begging DP to look).

It spent a few hours wriggling near my eardrum, which was fucking agony, let me tell you, before being removed by a doctor the next morning. I don't think I've ever felt so grateful to anybody as to that woman in the medical tent.

I think the squeaking was due to the fact that there wasn't much room around the beetle for the air to move every time it did.

[shudders at memory]

shock that is really horrible!
My squeaking is gone! Must be the cheese I left on my pillow case!

I had some stuff we got from france for dds swimmers ear. Was still in date so I gave that a try.

RubyThePirate Wed 10-Jul-13 16:02:45

Glad you're sorted now, Kitten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now