Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think I have tonsillitis - just arrived in Spain, do I need anti-bs?

(15 Posts)
tiokiko Sat 06-Jul-13 20:09:35

I've had a sore throat since Wed, achy etc but it's got worse today and I have just seen a white spot.

We have just arrived in (pretty rural) Spain where everything is closed now till Monday.

I have ibuprofen, throat spray and strepsils, will I need to see a doctor or just drink lots and wait it out? No temp or anything but I feel pretty crap. Swollen glands too.

Is it really infectious - will DDs 4 and 21m get it?? Argh.

HRHwheezing Sat 06-Jul-13 20:11:40

You can buy anti biotics over the counter in pharmacies in Spain. There's nothing worse than being ill on holiday.

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 20:12:45

Yeah go and chat to a pharmacist. Hope it goes soon x

tiokiko Sat 06-Jul-13 20:16:29

No chance to see pharmacy till Monday I think. I generally react to anti-bs, sickness and diarrhoea. So leaving it till then is ok or do I need a clinic or something tomorrow?

tiokiko Sat 06-Jul-13 20:17:39

Actually just looked at nhs online and it says doesn't usually need anti-bs and will go in same time. Is that right or just general sore throat?

HRHwheezing Sat 06-Jul-13 20:24:20

Go to the hospital in Spain. A and. E, make sure you take your ecis or what i's called these days.

Mollydoggerson Sat 06-Jul-13 20:24:24

gargle with mouth wash, it might help, gargle once an hour every hour. Anti-bacterial mouthwash will help.

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 20:34:17

Gargle with soluble aspirin or salty water.

tiokiko Sat 06-Jul-13 20:51:23

Ok a&e tomorrow then if not miraculously better. Ehic all sorted. Will do salt water gargle tonight as that's all I have (apart from wine which I'm sure has some healing properties?). Feeling sorry for myself now, really need a break! Thanks all.

valiumredhead Sat 06-Jul-13 21:03:21

White spots on tonsils don't automatically mean tonsillitis btw

tiokiko Sat 06-Jul-13 21:17:57

Really - what else? Just a sore throat <hopeful>?

Saw a friend at the weekend who had bad throat, glands etc by Wed and on anti-bs so assumed same for me. But I can't remember the last time I had anti-bs whereas she is a fan.

Btw I will contact a doctor tomorrow but might as well speculate tonight, happy to cling to straws that it's just a sore throat and I'll be ok in a few days. Clinic is an hr away and it's forecast to be 39 degrees tomorrow so would rather recuperate by the pool if I can...

PigOnStilts Sat 06-Jul-13 22:13:07

Go and buy frenadol. It like industrial strength lemsip....you can get it OTC ...also when I was in Spain once, I gargled and swallowed listerine (not recommended ovs) and it actually sorted out my throat....

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 23:04:35

How are you today OP?

tiokiko Tue 09-Jul-13 17:20:25

Was just about to post an update - went to pharmacy on Sunday but they wouldn't give me anything OTC. Had to go to the local A&E (which seemed like a massive over-reaction but that's the rule apparently), waited an hour, got a prescription for azirithromycin x 3 days. Felt worse over the day then woke up yesterday feeling a bit better, think I will be back to normal by tomorrow - amazing stuff.

Thanks for your help, was feeling absolutely terrible but wasn't sure if ABs were a bad idea or vital. Hoping to get on with the rest of the holiday from tomorrow and be able to shout at DDs again.

valiumredhead Tue 09-Jul-13 20:52:13

Good newssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now