Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Long period or bleeding for some other reason possibly pill related

(7 Posts)

Two weeks ago my period started as usual and for various reasons I had decided to go back on the pill. Have been on the pill several times in my level for longish periods but not for about 3 years. Period seemed lighter than usual although a bit painful all week - usual for me is one day of bad cramps and then OK. Don't know if the pill had time to effect period.

Anyway period usually lasts 5 -7 days but was longer this time and still does seem to have completely stopped. Not huge volumes but still a bit of blood appearing in pants. Slightly concerned it is bleeding rather than period blood (can't remember the correct word). All through in fact it has been like this rather than the dark, clottish usual period stuff.

So just wondered if anyone had had this happen before. I don't remember any such issues when starting the pill before and anyway don't know if its connected.

Part of the reason for going back on the pill, or at least the timing of it, was because going on beach holiday in 2 weeks for 2 weeks and thought pill would enable me to skip/control period but now I don't really know where I am!

Any ideas what might be going on appreciated!

digerd Sun 30-Jun-13 20:20:51

Was this the first time you went back on the pill and did you start it on the correct day after your last period?

First time for several years. Instructions said to start on first day of period which I did!

sandiy Sun 30-Jun-13 21:16:57

Are you on combined pill or progesterone only.Some of the newer pills have less oestrogen in them so can cause breakthrough bleeding.My advice would be go to family planning clinic not gp for a good chat about things they should be able to give you a better type of pill for your needsGp are great but not all are up to date on latest info about contraception.

digerd Mon 01-Jul-13 12:11:20

So your beach holiday starts the Sunday after next. Hope you get it sorted OP.
I'm obviously too old and was 20 years ago I last took the pill < but am on HRT>. But I remember having to start the Pill on the 5th or 7th day of my period, as the bleeding had to have time come away. So don't understand you having to start it at the beginning of your period? hmm

Tournesol Mon 01-Jul-13 13:31:48

I recently went back on the pill after 5 years off it and have had breakthrough bleeding most months. The nurse told me it can take six months for it to calm down.

Seems to happen if I take the pill slightly later than normal so now I am making an effort to take it at roughly the same time everyday.

It is really annoying so you have my sympathy!

Yes digerd I remember starting the pill later in period years ago but the instructions definitely said to start on first day! I guess they have changed ingredients or realise it works differently now.

Thanks Tournesol - 6 months of breakthrough bleeding would be annoying. I guess I must have just been lucky before. I will concentrate on taking the pill at the same time as you suggest - it takes a while to get back into the habit and so I have probably been taking it at slightly erratic times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now