Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Non drowsy antihistamines are making me drowsy

(16 Posts)
Kasterborous Wed 26-Jun-13 14:51:08

I was prescribed ceterizine for hay fever on Monday and they are making me sleepy and drowsy. They are supposed to be non drowsy ones. Do I need to give them a few days for the drowsiness to wear off or try a different one?

Saltire Wed 26-Jun-13 14:51:53

Are you taking any other meds that could be affecting how they work?

probablyhadenough Wed 26-Jun-13 14:54:15

Cetirizine makes me drowsy too OP (and dd as well so guessing it's genetic). Loratidine works better for dd...

Kasterborous Wed 26-Jun-13 14:54:17

No the only other meds I'm on is a nasal spray and eye drops for hay fever and an inhaler for asthma but I'm not taking any other oral medication.

Kasterborous Wed 26-Jun-13 14:55:32

Thanks for that probably I think I might have to ask them to change them for me.

schilke Wed 26-Jun-13 19:23:56

I find they all make me drowsy to different degrees. Ds2 & dd1 seem to be able to take anything.

The one that works best for me makes me the most sleepy! Benadryl allergy relief - acrivastine. Cetirizine doesn't work for me that well - taken today and still hayfevery.

gobbin Thu 27-Jun-13 22:21:51

You don't need a prescription for loratidine or acrivastine, they're both available over the counter. Benadryl has the licence for acrivastine I believe so you can only get it in Benadryl packets (check the package as Benadryl also do cetirizine in similar packaging). Loratidine is cheap as chips from Tesco/Asda etc

Kasterborous Fri 28-Jun-13 12:03:29

I get them from GP as I've got a prescription pre payment certificate so I get them for 'free'.

Montybojangles Sat 29-Jun-13 09:48:14

They make me drowsy too, but do work better for some allergies (especially if i have nasty insect bites) than loratidine. Loratidine works for me for hayfever, but makes me very slightly drowsy too, so I tend to take them before bed.

If you read the product info in the packs of any of these nondrowsy antihistamines you will see it says "may cause drowsiness"!

UseHerName Sat 29-Jun-13 09:52:35

oh cetrizine makes me drowsy too - i have to take loritadine grin

bruffin Sat 29-Jun-13 10:00:29

Its a one a day isnt it?
Try taking it at night before you go to sleep so you sleep off the worst of the symptoms

olivo Sat 29-Jun-13 20:25:55

I take my cetirizine at night, but am worried that they may have messed my sleep patterns as I tend not to sleep well these days if I don't take one!

Oldraver Sun 30-Jun-13 23:56:07

Cetirizene wipeed me out so i was like a zombie and couldn't get out of bed. It was only when I had to stop them for a blood test I fully realised how they made me feel.

I went back to Loratidene and Avamys spray

boysrock Sun 30-Jun-13 23:58:35

Yes they wipe me out too and I take them before bed. I stick to loratidine now- much better

Kasterborous Mon 01-Jul-13 00:04:07

I wouldn't be able to take it at bedtime as would need to be able to wake up if DD needed me.

I always remember being given some antihistamines by the hospital they said to take one or two at bedtime. So I took two. I tried and failed to get up for work the next day, and literally slept until 5pm that day managed to eat something then slept all night. Basically I was knocked out for 24hrs.

Kasterborous Tue 02-Jul-13 15:18:01

I managed to get them changed by my GP. She was surprised that cetirizine had made me drowsy, don't known why. When I read the leaflet it said it can affect one in ten people like that. Got Fexofenadine instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now