Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A question about iron absorption

(26 Posts)
nomorekisses Wed 26-Jun-13 06:22:00

I've got very low ferritin - have had since Xmas. I have been taking Ferrous Fumerate 2 or 3 x a day (210mg pills). I try to remember to take with a Vit C juice, like grapefruit, but doesn't always happen.

I'm taking it because I have lots of hair shedding.

I am seeing some difference in hair shedding loss (i.e. slowing down a little) but not a huge amount.

Today it was suggested to me that I take Florisene which is a Lamberts product containing 24mg Ferrous Fumerate, Lysine, Vit C all which helps with absorption. I would take it 3 x a day. It says not in conjunction with any other iron on the packet.

The person I spoke to said that iron amount should be enough.

Is that right? Or should I top up with a Ferrous Fumerate? Or is switching silly?

I'm just wondering whether having the right grounds for absorption is just as important as the levels themselves.

Any advice welcome.

HumphreyCobbler Mon 01-Jul-13 21:59:09

Goodness, I have been taking my iron supplement with a glass of milk each night. What a numpty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now