Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Picolax and special assembly!

(16 Posts)
4hoursanightisnotalright Tue 25-Jun-13 14:00:14

Sounds like a match made in hell right? I have to do a colonoscopy prep on Monday/Tues and Tues is fluids only with Picolax. One sachet at 8am and one at 4pm. BUT my DD has an end of term special assembly surprise for the parents that has been in the diary for ages. My DH can't go. Do I risk it? It is at 3:10. Don't particularly want to s**t myself at the school, but would hate to miss out, she is only teeny and it would mean the world to her if I was there. Would everything effectively be cleared out by 3pm ready for my next dose at 4pm?

SunshineBossaNova Tue 25-Jun-13 14:09:06

I genuinely wouldn't risk it. Picolax is the bad boy of laxatives. I spent the afternoon in the bathroom with a book.

HolidayArmadillo Tue 25-Jun-13 14:12:04

I think it's a wait and see kind of thing. You might still be unable to leave the bathroom or you might feel able to chance it. You won't know until the time comes.

4hoursanightisnotalright Tue 25-Jun-13 14:19:21

Eeeek! I have the fear now.

MissMarplesBloomers Tue 25-Jun-13 14:20:09

Why not have the morning one at 6am & see how you are by 3pm ? As long as you have the 2 sachets a few hours will not make a difference, ut I second the others its a wait & see job. Even if you're not running to the loo you'll be feeling pretty drained i imagine?

Could you stand at the back near the exit in case you need to leave sharpish? Is the nearest loo near enough?

tealady Tue 25-Jun-13 14:24:20

Having had the same procedure and taken picolax (a couple of years ago) I would say make plans for someone else to be at the assembly! It is very dynamic stuff and you will not feel safe unless you are near a loo!

tealady Tue 25-Jun-13 14:25:38

In my experience, just when you think it must be all over, you will need to go again and you get about 20 seconds to get to the loo.

mistlethrush Tue 25-Jun-13 14:28:58

You might want to read this? (or not) grin (not for the faint hearted)

DaffodilsandSnow Tue 25-Jun-13 14:30:14

I'm on the magic stuff today. I went out between 12.30-2 and was totally fine. However I would wait and see on the day and pre warn DD that you may not be there as other people seem to have different experiences.

Good luck.

SunshineBossaNova Tue 25-Jun-13 14:33:38

Thank you reposting that link! I'm crying...

mistlethrush Tue 25-Jun-13 14:35:58

You're welcome grin Beautifully written...

4hoursanightisnotalright Wed 26-Jun-13 13:31:24

Thanks everyone. That thread is hilarious... as is BillyConnolly talking about it on You tube. I will hope for the best and stay near a loo I think!

daimbardiva Wed 26-Jun-13 13:39:04

It was actually less dramatic/traumatic for me than I'd been expecting - then again my colonoscopy was to investigate the reason for my frequent explosive diarrhea so I was perhaps immune to it by then.

I would advise that you take the day as it comes - you might be OK by 3:10 to go, but you won't know until the day. And if you do go...sit as close to a loo exit as you can!

gobbin Thu 27-Jun-13 22:29:18

Oh ho..ho ho ho!
Make thee no plans, as bum-chunder thunder awaits thee, fair maiden!

Hope you're not as unlucky as me - it makes me sick as well. Luckily, my tolet is right next to the basin as evacuating both ends simultaneously was my experience and not one I would wish to repeat.

Any time I've had bowel investigations or surgery since, I've negotiated other methods of bowel clearance other than Picolax as it clearly doesn't agree with me.

topsi Fri 28-Jun-13 17:53:42

I would not plan on leaving the house!

Meglet Fri 28-Jun-13 17:58:59

Never mind the house. You won't be leaving the upstairs, I was bedroom - bathroom -bedroom -bathroom all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now