Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dental check up.. Do I take 10 month old with me?

(5 Posts)
beautybox2 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:41:53

A friend was meant to be looking after my baby while I have a dental appointment tomorrow morning but has cancelled unfortunately.
I haven't been to the dentist in 3years due to severe needle phobia but need to bite the bullet and get fillings done to save more treatment in the future.
Is it acceptable to take her with me or should I rearrange. She is normally very chilled if she's had a bottle but can't bank on it! Do I go or not help smile

Dancealot Mon 24-Jun-13 20:45:41

Yes go and keep your fingers crossed your baby behaves! I've always took my two with me to the dentist and the staff have always been lovely- if childcare is difficult to come by there's not a lot else you can do.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 24-Jun-13 20:46:05

I've always taken mine with me.

I find it actually helps me because I have to put on a brave face.

I've always found they're ok as there's a lot to look at.

LifeHuh Mon 24-Jun-13 20:50:12

Is this to have fillings or just for a checkup? If it is a check to decide what work needs to be done I would take her,if there is a good chance she'll be happy.If it is to have the work done,that is a bit more risky - if she isn't happy that will be difficult for you,and even if you are happy to ignore a bit of upset,the dentist may find it distracting (probably not what you want!)
Alternatively I have been in some health care enviroments where reception staff are happy to entertain a baby,if you would be ok with that - might be worth ringing the surgery and having a chat?

Yonihadtoask Tue 25-Jun-13 08:45:42

Is it just a check up or are you having the fillings tomorrow?

I always took DS with me - from being younger than your DC, but only for check ups - not for long appointments, such as my crown replacements etc

It is good to get them used to going into the surgery.

You could register your DC at the surgery whilst there , and let the dentist have a look in their mouth too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now