Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this hayfever?

(4 Posts)
MonstersDontCry Mon 24-Jun-13 16:38:00

I've never had hayfever before but I've heard you can just suddenly develop it?

I had a cold that went for a few days but now I seem to have it back. I have a runny nose, but no sneezing. This is the weird bit, I have a 'headachey' feeling down the side of my face and around my eyes and nose. Hope that makes sense?

I'm pregnant so can I take anything if this is hayfever?

If it is hayfever, a chemist can advise you on what is safe in pregnancy

However, to me it sounds like you have a blocked sinus (hence the headachey feeling in your face) if you bend forward, does it throb?

If you think its that, steam therapy will help

MonstersDontCry Mon 24-Jun-13 17:02:05

I've just bend forward and it does throb. I'll google steam therapy, thank you! Should I go to the doctor?

delasi Mon 24-Jun-13 23:10:38

I suddenly developed hayfever at 22, so it can happen. The pollen varies each year, the seasons for different types etc and different types can affect different people, teamed with your own personal changes and it can just get triggered. Fwiw, I don't get it every year. I did by this time last year and the year before, but haven't had it at all this year.

You don't have to go to the doctor, but it can be good to go so you can get an appropriate remedy for pregnancy as even pharmacists can be unsure about what can be taken (well, in my experience).

If it's hayfever, nasal sprays can be taken (eg Beconase or Boots own version). DH has terrible hayfever every year and has found the follow natural solutions work brilliantly - sucking on strong mints (eg Trebors, mint imperials), Pollena (I think it's called that, they're chewable tablets you can get in Holland & Barrett made from plant extracts) and Hay Max (a balm to go around the nostrils). The mints and balm should be fine in pregnancy, I think the plant tablets would be, of course have a check beforehand. smile

As for sinuses, Halls lozenges are fine in pregnancy and help keep clear (for me anyway!). You can of course take paracetamol as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now