Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

concerns about chest pains - don't want diagnosis, just venting

(4 Posts)
lirael Mon 24-Jun-13 12:51:29

Follow on from http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/a1771957-echocardiogram-showed-possible-weak-heart-muscle-am-panicking-a-bit [[ . Apologies for starting a new thread but old one had got a bit long and drip-feedy...

Brief summary - am undergoing investigations of my heart. Have had resting ECG, echocardiogram and exercise ECG, and am waiting for an appointment for MRI. Findings so far have been a possibly weak left ventricle and multiple ectopic heartbeats (multi-focal PVCs) which make up 25% of my total heartbeat. Stress test had some abnormalities- blood pressure dropped at peak exercise, PVCs weren't suppressed by exercise, some horizontal depression of ST segment. Dr hasn't commented on these, just listed them in a letter, but I know that they can all be signs of coronary artery disease. Having said all that, consultant also said that the treadmill test and echocardiogram are hard to read because of my chaotic heartbeat.

I have started beta blockers, which are gradually being increased, and am going to begin taking an ACE inhibitor in a month's time. Hopefully when the heartbeat has calmed down, they'll be able to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

The problem is that my chest/stomach pains, which I've had for a few years, on and off, and which have always been put down to heartburn/gastritis, are now worrying me hugely. I ended up going to A&E by ambulance last Sat and they've been bad again today, so I've been to the GP. No-one seems to be able to agree what they are - paramedics and GP thought most likely angina, but A&E doctor thought gastro/anxiety related. There seems to be no surefire way of telling apart from the investigations I'm having - and apparently there's a long waiting list for the MRI. None of this is helping my anxiety! Added to this is the fact that I'm home-educating my severely autistic son, and the thought of keeling over while on my own at home with him is a frightening prospect.

Any angina (or heartburn!) sufferers out there to hold my hand? Am not looking for diagnosis, because I know I'm having all the investigations and treatment - but anyone with similar experience would be great to talk to.

lirael Mon 24-Jun-13 12:53:18

Sorry hope this works. [[ http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/a1771957-echocardiogram-showed-possible-weak-heart-muscle-am-panicking-a-bit ]]

lirael Mon 24-Jun-13 12:54:39

Oh for goodness sake - don't know what I'm doing wrong - can normally do links.

lirael Mon 24-Jun-13 19:44:07

Anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now