Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lichen Planus - best supplement for immune system boost?

(3 Posts)
rusticlanguage Sun 23-Jun-13 17:11:07

I have been struggling with Lichen Planus for years now and despite reading that it goes away in time it seems to be getting worse. My gums are so painful and the inside of my cheeks flare up and blister. The worst thing over the recent months has been my lower lip which is constantly sore and I have to apply vaseline every 10 minutes or so to stop it drying out and bleeding.

There's almost nothing I can eat anymore that doesn't hurt my mouth and lip, it's really getting me down. The GP and dentist just says there's no cure, it's self-limiting etc - is there anything anyone can suggest to boost my immune system to help get rid? I have tried B-complex but it didn't make any difference.

Other than the LP I am actually not in bad health although a couple of stone overweight. I am fit and active and am one of the few people to get through last winter without a single cold or cough!

CatsRule Sun 23-Jun-13 19:20:31

My Mum has this condition too and she has been trying different toothpastes without sls's tp see what difference it makes.

A woman I work with also has it amd she said hers flares up with sugary things do she avoids it...she found that out through trial and error eliminating things and reintroducing...it was a slow process. She also finds when it flares up that a hot curry helps!

I suppose it will be different for everyone.

rusticlanguage Mon 24-Jun-13 13:58:09

shock at 'hot curry' - they would have to scrape me off the ceiling!! I ate some yoghurt and banana earlier and even that was making my lip really sting.

I wondered wether it was related to sugar - the GP tested my blood sugar twice but it was normal and in fact the latest flare-up occurred after I lost a stone on the 5:2 diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now