Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why has my eye lid swollen?

(9 Posts)
RetroRita Mon 24-Jun-13 12:59:42

I phoned 111 to get advice yesterday and they said to see my GP within 24 hours, so I went to the doctors today.

I have an infection. Maybe caused by something getting in my eye. So I have been prescribed anti bacterial eye drops.

Thanks for the advice thanks

if it's still like it in the morning you should go to the doctor, I went with a swollen eyelid last year, thinking it was something trivial, I was given antibiotics and it cleared but the nurse said there is a very serious condition which can develop around the eyeball and if I experienced any pain over the weekend i should go straight to A&E.

RetroRita Sun 23-Jun-13 09:16:41

Oh bugger. What a PITA.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and find a pharmacy that's open today.

kelda Sun 23-Jun-13 08:46:19

I would go to a pharmacy today. In my experience, it does get worse.

You may need the doctor because you are pregnant.

RetroRita Sun 23-Jun-13 08:37:47

Stress and not sleeping sounds about right.

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and have been feeling really run down recently.

Do I need to go to the out of hours/pharmacy today if its blepheritis? I have my booking in tomorrow with the midwife, could I just wait till I see her?

kelda Sun 23-Jun-13 08:21:11

blepheritis.

kelda Sun 23-Jun-13 08:20:22

Blapheritis? I have this regularly, due to stress, not sleeping, and rubbing my eyes too much.

You can get antibiotic eye drops from the pharmacy.

ChablisLover Sun 23-Jun-13 08:18:30

An infection?

Ds had this once and had to get antibiotics for it.

I would go to out of hours doc if you can today

Best to be safe especially where an eye is concerned.

RetroRita Sun 23-Jun-13 08:06:49

Its felt sore for couple of days. Thought it might be a sty but couldn't see anything.

Today its really swollen and painful. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now