Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TMI - painful piles/bowel movements

(10 Posts)
MummyAbroad Tue 25-Jun-13 20:22:22

Yonihadtoask best thing for "soft poo" is food that intestinal flora feeds off, so bananas and onions are great. Too much fibre (especially processed fibre like Special K, Allbran, Riveta etc) will strip away intestinal flora, so make sure you eat some yoghurt to replace it and dont rely on eating fibre in order to make you poo - or you will never recover your flora.

Yonihadtoask Tue 25-Jun-13 09:03:21

Oh, and take paracetemol for the pain. It does help a bit.

Yonihadtoask Tue 25-Jun-13 08:53:41

Oh OP. You have my sympathy

I am suffering at the moment too - have had over 3 weeks of real pain. Internal and external piles. I have an appointment at the hospital next week - so hopefully will get answers them.
Have you been to the GP? I have tried a variety of creams - the ones on prescription can have a local anaesthetic in - which helps slightly. Xlyoproct is my current cream.

Lactulose was also prescribed, but I find it makes my poos 'explosive' which hurts more.

Am trying to drink lots of water, and eat fruit and veggies to keep it soft.

If, however, the waste matter you have waiting is already hard, then you may just have to grit your teeth on this one.

Hope you get sorted out.

mummylin Sat 22-Jun-13 19:30:54

Prunes can help a lot. You have my sympathy, if you can't stomach prunes maybe you can at least drink prune juice

MummyAbroad Sat 22-Jun-13 19:11:41

have you also tried taking some ibuprofen and paracetomol?

Oh you poor thing! I've changed my diet and it's really helped. No more painful poos ever.

I'd definitely buy some lactulose to soften them and use the Germoloid suppositories to ease pain inside.

Talk to your GP.

MummyAbroad Sat 22-Jun-13 19:05:14

you can get a glycerine suppository from the chemist which will help you go.

monikar Sat 22-Jun-13 19:03:41

*sorry, external piles not internal piles

monikar Sat 22-Jun-13 19:03:06

Oh dear, poor you, that sounds dreadful.

I only have experience of internal piles and I have cried with the pain of those so you do have my sympathy.

Laxatives will just make you go and will force it out - do you think it might be better to try some fybogel or lactulose which will soften things a bit and so make it more comfortable? You are supposed to drink plenty of fluids with these.

If you are in such a lot of pain and bleeding then it might be worth ringing OOH for advice. They were very helpful when I rang them.

Good luck, it is miserable.

mildred37 Sat 22-Jun-13 17:32:49

Oh my word. I have never experienced piles before, but I have so much sympathy for all those who do. Today I have mostly been sitting on the toilet trying to poo with no success. I have internal piles and my god, I swear labour was never this painful. I have so far tried - unsuccessfully - 3 times to go, each time resulting in me howling with agony, stopping myself from pooing because It feels like I'm literally being torn apart.

How the hell am I meant to poo if its this bloody painful?! I'm using germaloid cream which has helped to anaethetise things slightly; but its still way too painful. Is it work trying laxatives/syrup of figs; or have I just got to grow up and push it out? I should add there is a lot of blood when I try sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now