Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Continence issues and Glastonbury!!

(18 Posts)
StagnantRabbit Mon 08-Jul-13 19:17:49

Just wanted to day thank you to everyone who posted tips and advice. I had no problems, just went regularly and there were loads of toilets everywhere so just frequented them as often as I could. I had the best time, finally felt better today and even met a hot man!! But that is a discussion for another thread

fluffiphlox Tue 25-Jun-13 16:52:31

With reference to the Tena ad, if you're wetting yourself when falling out of a taxi, I think you need to examine your lifestyle.
Anyway, OP, go to the doc or do some exercises. You've probably left it a little late for Glastonbury.

gussiegrips Tue 25-Jun-13 11:10:34

Shewees are great, really solve a problem, and traveljohn do absorbent pouches that attach onto the spout so you don't even have a bucket of piss to :dispose of.

I'm a fanjo obsessed women's health physio. Hang on whilst I hoik self onto my high horse:

1:3 women aged 35-55 piss themselves.
most cases can be cured in 3 months by doing your pelvic floor exercises

urgency incontinence (when you've got to go, you've got to go NOW) is easily treated with a baldder diary and behavioural management. Most folk drink less (bad idea, strong pee irritates your bladder) and pee more (bad idea, shrinks the size of your bladder) - which is why they get to the point that going to a festival scares the shit out of them (no joke, lots of women don't just have problems controlling their bladder)

I've got a website, but don't want to link on here for fear of falling foul of advertising - details are on my profile.

And, I use twitter as a training tool - I tweet, you twitch your twinkle...@gussiegrips

You really, really don't have to put up with it. Problem is that our perception is it's an inevitable consequence of becoming a mother, or getting older. Well. I'ts . Not.

I'm stupidly doing a fringe show in this year's Edinburgh Festival about pishy pants. It's evidence based practice, disguised as stand up comedy. The idea is to make health promotion a bit less dry (ba boom, pshhh) and hopefully, get the message across that Tena deal with a symptom, but cost a fortune, and make you die a little inside - and most cases of simple stress incontinence can be cured.

Not that that's to imply that those who've had a TVT did anything wrong - sometimes conservative treatment's not enough. But, you still got to #doyerblardyexercises after the op...

Hideous self promotion linky: free show about how to laugh and not leak

Feel free to PM me. I'm like a fallen fanjo evanjalist. Oh, fanjo evanjo. Might use that...

shouldibecrossaboutthis Mon 24-Jun-13 00:43:22

ypu don't normally have to queue for long - maybe take some travel johns and a sheepee?

Madlizzy Sat 22-Jun-13 22:11:28

Definitely see your gp. I spent years wearing pads and medication has sorted it. Also, cut out caffeine completely as that has more of an effect than you realise.

Right - apart from the toilets by the main stages, during a headliner, you really won't have problems with long queues when out and about. Glastonbury has way more toilets than the minimum required, including she-wees which never have a queue, so you'll be ok. Just be opportunistic and go whenever you're passing some decent looking loos.

Definitely get some kind of she-wee or traveljohn (or even a bucket!) for your tent though. The morning toilet queues are horrendous - can be 45 mins easy so don't put yourself through that!

greeneyed Sat 22-Jun-13 21:59:41

Well it's a long time since I went to glastonbury but it wasn't unusual for people to just pee round the edges of the fields as opposed to waiting for the loos when I was there - second the tena ladies. If you are camping you can get a bucket for your tent.

gingeroots Sat 22-Jun-13 18:06:36

I had a day surgery and had TVT ,which is tape to support the pelvic floor . I'm sorry because it sounds awful,but it really isn't .

you have to have tests and try the conventional pelvic floor exercises first .

StagnantRabbit Sat 22-Jun-13 13:24:21

How did they sort it out gingeroots?

gingeroots Sat 22-Jun-13 09:14:22

But still go to GP ,I spent years investing in Tena and having to carefully consider dilemmas like this one .

But it's sorted now ,and I wish I'd followed it up sooner .

NothingsLeft Sat 22-Jun-13 00:14:03

Get a she pee...

A festival must smile

NoelHeadbands Fri 21-Jun-13 22:25:32

Long, floaty skirt and squat

swooosh Fri 21-Jun-13 21:11:45

Get in the festival spirit, go to the mens loos if there's a queue for them or politely ask the girl at the front of the queue if you can go first because you've got a bladder problem. Who cares if you get death stares!

StagnantRabbit Fri 21-Jun-13 20:56:44

Ok maybe urgency is the wrong term, perhaps crappy/unreliable pelvic floor muscles is a better way of describing!

gingeroots Fri 21-Jun-13 20:54:10

GP appointment ?
I believe there is medication for urgency .

rockybalboa Fri 21-Jun-13 20:41:31

You could get some of the Tena Lady pant things? Not the most attractive of ideas but would deal with emergencies.

orangepudding Fri 21-Jun-13 20:38:05

You could get something like this so you have more options. Or you could go every couple of hours so you don't reach the point of urgency.

StagnantRabbit Fri 21-Jun-13 20:34:04

Can anyone offer me any tips? Since ds number 2 my bladder control has been less than efficient and I have had problems with urgency. This is manageable in normal life but next weekend I am going to Glastonbury. I have this vision of my self in the portaloo queue pissing my pants (in the literal sense) as know I won't be able to hold it if desperate. Sorry if this is TMI but wondered if anyone has any tips? Bit worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now