Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Motability scooter differences?

(4 Posts)
Chippychop Thu 20-Jun-13 21:09:00

I'm looking to buy an easy scooter for elderly dm but don't know the differences, what's a nice to have or unnecessary. Shall I go second hand, how old is 'old' for a scooter? Anyone got any recommendations?

CMOTDibbler Thu 20-Jun-13 22:09:13

You need to go with your DM to a good shop which stocks a range of scooters and which has outside space for her to try them in.

You and she need to think about how far she will go on it, what sort of surfaces, whether she'll want to take it in a car etc.

tribpot Thu 20-Jun-13 22:12:41

I'd go second hand, from a shop that offers a warranty. (If you're in Leeds, I can recommend somewhere).

CMOT is right, though - you need to have a better idea of what you want this for. If it's to go in a car, it's a very different proposition from something that's essentially a small road vehicle.

Chippychop Mon 24-Jun-13 17:22:37

Thanks, after hiring and trying one for a week.. Turns out she loves it. The Hand controls were the main concern as she has RA but on the back of it we've ordered one with delta controls, a lightweight 4 wheeler that will fit into back of the car. She's already planning where she'll go on it and hopefully start living again! It's a Careco eclipsegrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now