Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sinusitis - should it still be this painful?

(22 Posts)
morethanmama Tue 25-Jun-13 16:30:02

My consultant recommended sinus rinse - said she and her family use whenever they have signs of a cold.

Tieni Sat 22-Jun-13 19:56:28

Thank you to all for your suggestions. I tried the steaming on Wednesday and it really seemed to ease the congestion. After blowing my nose literally every 2 minutes by the evening I was much clearer and the pain subsided enough for me to go back onto paracetamol rather than co codamol.

I've now finished my antibiotics and paracetamol and am finally back to my normal self hoping I never get sinusitis again!

All advice and sympathy has been much appreciated smile

ChocolateCremeEggBag Fri 21-Jun-13 23:14:23

I second the sinus wash - try the NeilMed Sinus Rinse on Amazon. It's about £10 for the squeeze bottle and 50 or so sachets of saline salts
Mix with warm water and squirt up one nostril and out the other.

It is such a nice feeling and vv satisfying to see some of the awful gunk come out too. I was pregant last time I had sinusitis and couldn't take anything but paracetamol and this really helped. I now use mine everything I start to get snotty and (touch wood) have not had any problems with sinuses since then

hiddenhome Tue 18-Jun-13 23:18:42

Get a sinus washout. I bought mine from Amazon. It feels a bit strange to begin with, but it really helps with sinusitis. I was popping the tramadol before I started the washouts. It was never due to an infection either as there was no temperature or illness as such, just terrible pain and congestion.

EugenesAxe Mon 17-Jun-13 22:46:14

Organix that sounds satisfying and intense!

OP - mine improved after 2 days on ABs. I wasn't given amoxyl as allergic; the ones I had mentioned sinusitis in the list of things they were best for. I can't remember what the hell they were though. Maybe a phone call rather than appointment? They might be able to get prescription to pharmacy for you if they think other ABs should be tried.

OrganixAddict Mon 17-Jun-13 22:39:04

Yy to the going to die pain. Had it after dd2 was born, no illness just pain. When paracetomol / ibuprofen alternately were no longer touching pain (4 days in) went to docs & begged. He offered abs but did say unlikely to help but did give me some amazing painkillers (used post c-section). still had to sleep sitting up though as pressure too much if I lay down, then at 3 in the morning I was woken by a weird ripping sound in my head and the snottiest nose ever. Was disgusting but once they cleared recovery was v speedy. In fact DH didn't believe I'd been ill when he got back from working away.
In the nicest possible way, I hope your tidal wave of grunge is not far away! Good luck.

happyfrogger Mon 17-Jun-13 22:30:12

Much sympathy. Had my first dose of this 2 months ago. Pregnant and took only paracetamol. Never felt pain like it. Tried homeopathy, acupuncture, saline nasal spray, hot showers/steam. Cried in pain which was futile as made it all worse. Sorry you are suffering, it is truly awful and even all of these things barely take the edge off. For me the crippling pain took 4 days to pass, followed by another 4 days of only slightly wanting to kill myself pain. Get well soon.

Tieni Mon 17-Jun-13 22:23:24

Looks like I have a good few days of steaming, nasal spraying and painkillers left sad thanks for all the advice thanks. I will be very sympathetic to anyone I meet with this in future!

MileOfString Mon 17-Jun-13 21:48:46

I have the same, have done since a week last Friday. GP refused anti-bs as I didn't have a fever. It is starting to get better now, holding a covered hot water bottle to the face helps, I find. I didn't realise it could be so painful - I have been in agony at points. Walking makes it worse, which is helpful...

Tidypidy Mon 17-Jun-13 21:45:03

A saline nasal spray can be quite effective at loosening the gunge enough to gently blow it out. I use a Calpol or Sterimar one, both are available off the shelf at the supermarket. A good hot shower usually works wonders too.

mrsyattering Mon 17-Jun-13 20:01:23

I had this for two weeks, dr refused to give me ab's "as they doesn't help sinusitis" shock only prescribed co codamol. was in agony I tried everything and steaming regularly was the only thing that helped and lots of pain killers. I hope you get better soon

Tieni Mon 17-Jun-13 19:59:38

Thank you so so much everyone, I've never had it before and yes it's truly awful. I'll try steaming and decongesting and go back to the docs on Wednesday if there's no improvement. All advice much appreciated smile

jellycat Mon 17-Jun-13 19:55:46

BTW if you try the nasal sprays like Zylometalazine (sp?) don't use them for more than a day or 2 because they can cause rebound congestion (I know this to my cost!!).

You could try ibuprofen for pain relief too.

HTH.

musickeepsmesane Mon 17-Jun-13 19:53:27

I have had two attacks of this now. It is bloody horrible, no advice, just lots and lots of sympathy.

jellycat Mon 17-Jun-13 19:52:36

Agree with Mrs Wooster. Steam as much as you can, it really does work! I don't put anything in the water (dh uses menthol but I can't bear it). Then back to docs if still no better. I was told amoxicillin is not the best antibiotic for sinusitis BTW.

If you feel generally better, but the pain is much the same/worse, your problem could be ongoing blockage and pressure in the sinuses rather than infection.

Try everything you can think of to debung yourself: steaminhalations, menthol crystals, nasal sprays (the fast-acting ones like Otrivine/Xylometazoline), Tigerbalm, Vicks... <runs out of ideas>
You might have to try some or all of the above several times before the pain either a. gradually eases or b. you are suddenly able to blow your nose getting rid of disgusting/smelly/offensive stuff and Feel Absolutely Normal grin - it does happen.

And yes, if in doubt see your GP again (usual disclaimer).

Hope you feel better soon.

In my experience,which sadly is quite lengthy, you need a heavier anti biotic. Doxycycline is only one that touches mine( severe allergy to penicillin , not sure if that relevant). I have to use nasal sprays,pain killers &steaming too. Am so sorry you are suffering tis truly awful.

MrsWooster Mon 17-Jun-13 19:48:27

should clear up in another day or two, or at least the face-slammed-with-hammer intensity should pass. If not, go back to doc, though antibiotics often don't do a right lot... Try inhaling steam (boil your head, as it's known in our house) for short term relief.

isitsnowingyet Mon 17-Jun-13 19:47:03

I would go visit your GP again, as it sounds like amoxicillin might not be the right antibiotic - keep taking them - but make another appointment... Hope you get it sorted soon flowers

rightsaidthread Mon 17-Jun-13 19:43:06

Sinusitis is hell, recently had my first and hopefully last bout and it did take a good week of antibiotics to feel better

There a some useful threads on here if you have a search, sorry can't link from my phone

Hope you feel better soon

Tieni Mon 17-Jun-13 19:22:10

I am on amoxicillin for sinusitis (it started on Thursday after a nasty virus and I saw the GP on Friday afternoon as it had become so painful).

I started the amoxicillin on Friday evening and have been taking them every 8 hrs since, so am 1/2 way through the course. I was also taking paracetamol every 6 hrs which made the pain bearable (can't take ibuprofen for medical reasons). By Sunday morning I was in so much pain in my cheek, head and upper jaw that I had to start taking co codamol rather than paracetamol.

The co codamol takes away the pain, but after 6 hours it's back until the next dose kicks in. I am feeling a bit better in myself today but there's absolutely no improvement in the pain: do I go back to the GP for different antibiotics or give it a bit longer (I don't want to bother them if it's not necessary but I've been really ill for a few weeks now and just want to get back to my normal self).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now