Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quitting Smoking One Day at a Time

(281 Posts)
AgentFelix Mon 20-May-13 00:16:39

I took my last puff at 23.59 and I am not going to smoke for the rest of the day, or the day after that, or the day after that ...

Bit of a blow at 00.00 when I gathered up my ashtray, lighter and 4 remaining cigarettes to find I had an unopened pack of 20 hidden on my desk. DP now has the somewhat crappy job of distributing said pack somewhere in the neighbourhood. I was going to post them through a (smoking) neighbours letter box but I don't know her very well and thought it might creep her out.

Does anyone want to buddy up?

I'm going to make myself accountable to this thread. Support is very welcome.

DP has just come back and assured me he has left fags where I won't find them. I just hope that the person who comes across them hasn't just started their own quit.

leesmum Thu 20-Jun-13 21:00:41

Has anyone bothered with those e-cigarettes, are they the ones that have oil in them? Seen a few people with them and wondered if they were any good....i'm presuming they are 100% chemical free???

OberonTheHopeful Thu 20-Jun-13 21:39:37

Leesmum, the NHS counsellor I saw didn't recommend them as they aren't regulated as medicines, so there is no real control over how much nicotine they deliver. I can see the attraction as it is much more like smoking. Personally, for me it's a habit I need to get out of as much as the nicotine addiction, so using one would probably not help with that.

I think they just deliver nicotine like patches, inhalators etc. Someone I work with used one last year but just ended up smoking again, though that may well have had nothing to do with the e-cigarette!

andie123 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:12:27

Leesmum I have one of the e-cigarettes you mentioned. I tried quitting smoking with patches and gum before, but it's only since using my e-cig that I've managed to do it (about 50 days now and counting). Personally I think they're great and recommend them to all the smokers I know. They have nicotine in along with propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin to give the "throat hit". I know they're a bit controversial, and obviously of you can go cold turkey that's preferable, however I couldn't have quit without them. I did crack and have a real cigarette yesterday (stressful day) and I honestly hated it, I was happy to return to my e-cig.

ginmakesitallok Thu 20-Jun-13 22:26:20

I've just started with an e-cig (not a cigalike) and it's Fab, haven't felt like a cigarette at all. Personally I don't mind keeping my nicotine addiction, it was the other crap in fags that was killing me. Ecigs are nothing like other nrt. If you buy from a reputable company then you can be pretty sure of the nicotine content. There are some great forums with more info.

leesmum Fri 21-Jun-13 07:26:25

Thanks ladies I think different things suit different people, I've been cold turkey since sun but I am finding it hard and really really don't want to smoke, think ill get some gum today and quiz some of my co-workers about their e-cigs.

Oopla Fri 21-Jun-13 07:29:57

DP has now gone cold turkey too. So proud of him. Day 4 with nothing after three weeks on e cigarettes.
I'm day 10 now and going to officially start thinking of myself as a non smoker. The thoughts about craving are getting less and less frequent.

Keep it up everyone. Think of all thy money saved and fresh clean smelling hair and clothes smile

ginmakesitallok Fri 21-Jun-13 11:33:10

Leesmum, have a look here friendly bunch with lots of good advice.

LittleNoona Fri 21-Jun-13 15:04:54

It's been 4 weeks and 2 days since I went cold turkey!

OberonTheHopeful Fri 21-Jun-13 16:04:55

LittleNoona, I'm impressed! I'm just on my third full day, have you found it getting any easier? People I know who've quit successfully tell me that the first month is the hardest.

leesmum Fri 21-Jun-13 21:18:44

Thanks Ginmakesitallok ....I need all the help I can get. Littlenoona that's great, I've seen lots of inspiring stories on here and its really helping smile

ginmakesitallok Fri 21-Jun-13 22:25:53

I've never managed to stop before, even when pregnant. Will be one week tomorrow without cigs, haven't even wanted one.

waterlego Sat 22-Jun-13 08:05:00

Thank you Tiger, Oberon and gin. Am taking my first Champix today, so aiming for a stop day next weekend.

Day 22 here, hi everyone, have not been around much in the last few days but glad to hear people are doing well!

Hello ladies, thank God I found you!!

I had my last roll-up yesterday morning at 11 and am desperately trying to remember all the reasons why I should give up!

Me and DP are doing it together after reading 'The easy way' and this is the first time I've ever tried to quit since starting over 20 years ago shock

Reading all your comments has helped a lot today as DP is at work and I can honestly say that I don't know what to do with myself. I feel all out of sorts, nothing feels normal...it's almost like I'm pretending to be someone else iykwim ?

I started off going cold turkey yesterday but am using an e-cig today and am finding it so much easier even though the book said not to use any substitutes.

Well done to all of you, keep up the good work smile

leesmum Mon 24-Jun-13 10:43:42

Well I've been smoke free for 7 days now! Just using the lozengers and lots of water, some days have been a breeze and others have been hard, just taking one day at a time, good luck to everyone and keep up the good work x

ginmakesitallok Mon 24-Jun-13 19:41:27

Well done leesmum. Day 11 here. I'm using ecig, so going out for break as normal at work. Went to pick up my usual smoking mate, she's been on holiday and has given up too, using e cigs as well, so now I've got a vaping pal! Life is good, so proud of us.

leesmum Mon 24-Jun-13 21:01:36

Great to have someone to give up with, I went outside on my break today, sat with the smokers while I ate my butties and drank my massive bottle of water......and I was ok, I survived.......I can't avoid smokers for the rest of my life, Ginmakesitallok you are doing great, can I ask, have you been scoffing ??? I have ate some rubbish this last week!!!!

Day 25 and counting!

Hi leesmum, ginmakesitallok and brightyoungthing, great to see you!

The only thing I hate about coming on to this thread is noticing the number of posters who show up for a while and don't come back... makes me think that they have fallen off the wagon and I find myself thinking "lucky things!" and getting a bit jealous that they get to smoke again! How messed up is that.

I've found the NHS quit smoking app on my phone and it's pretty helpful if I'm having a moment of weakness.

This morning I got up, got the kids up, dressed, fed, dealt with the electrician, kids and DH out the door, etc and got almost ALL the way to work before I thought about smoking at all - that is a great result for me because one of the cigarettes I miss the most is the first one in the morning on my balcony with my coffee.

OberonTheHopeful Tue 25-Jun-13 19:11:00

Well, I haven't fallen off the wagon (yet). Today marks exactly a week without a cigarette for me. It's been hard at times, though not so bad for the last couple of days, and I've found the app useful too (also signed up for the text messages).

WannagotoDallas Tue 25-Jun-13 19:29:14

I am still very much on the wagon Hearts! Will be five weeks on Friday for me.

I still read the thread everyday as a reminder of how far I have come. To those who are just starting to give up, hang in there, it only gets better and it's sooooo worth it.

OberonTheHopeful Tue 25-Jun-13 19:48:19

I'm hoping the cravings will go away, though when I time them they don't actually last for very long (I think the rest is just habit). It is definitely the first one of the morning that I miss the most. I'm really inspired by those here that have kept it going for weeks. I think I read somewhere (maybe the NHS Website) that if you can stay off cigarettes for four weeks then you're five times more likely to stay off permanently.

My breathing already seems to be a bit better, and when I went to see the NHS counsellor this morning my CO level was only 1! And I have already saved a small fortune smile

ginmakesitallok Tue 25-Jun-13 20:14:59

Still firmly on the wagon. Haven't been reading any more than normal, just vaping away happily! Wish I'd done this years ago.

CrazyLottie Wed 26-Jun-13 11:14:06

Hi all
Glad I found this thread! Been smoking for 20 years (god that sounds awful!) and tried everything to give up in the past. Succeeded for anything between a couple of hours and a year when I was pregnant. Not smoked now since Monday (my daughter's birthday). Using the QuickMist which is the best thing I've found, but feel desperately like I'm missing something ... Or lost a friend ... Not sure how long I can keep this up, I don't feel like me :-(

Oopla Wed 26-Jun-13 11:14:44

Hiya folks smile one month off the fags! Honestly can't see me ever pitting a cigarette in my mouth again. Just seems so unnatural
It defiantly gets easier I've been thinking of every day that passes as a day further into my body healing.

Keep going!!

CrazyLottie Wed 26-Jun-13 11:45:32

Well done Oopla - a month is amazing!

I was a coffee person but already on my 3rd cup of tea of the day, trying to calm my nerves!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now