Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quitting Smoking One Day at a Time

(281 Posts)
AgentFelix Mon 20-May-13 00:16:39

I took my last puff at 23.59 and I am not going to smoke for the rest of the day, or the day after that, or the day after that ...

Bit of a blow at 00.00 when I gathered up my ashtray, lighter and 4 remaining cigarettes to find I had an unopened pack of 20 hidden on my desk. DP now has the somewhat crappy job of distributing said pack somewhere in the neighbourhood. I was going to post them through a (smoking) neighbours letter box but I don't know her very well and thought it might creep her out.

Does anyone want to buddy up?

I'm going to make myself accountable to this thread. Support is very welcome.

DP has just come back and assured me he has left fags where I won't find them. I just hope that the person who comes across them hasn't just started their own quit.

QueenOfCats Fri 24-May-13 23:14:28

Hi laly - what type of ecig do you have? Let e know how you get on with it - and well done for making the decision to quit!

Agent - I'm still the same today - it's doing my head in! I'm so snappy! It's nice that you got to treat yourself - kep it up!

It's now 48 hours and 20 mins since my last cigarette smile

southeastastra Fri 24-May-13 23:17:10

it can be done, i gave up four years ago and i was a big smoker, morning noon and night

i had to have patches and an inhalator though but four years later i am still smoke free. it is such a freeing experience

lynne999 Sat 25-May-13 00:19:48

Hi all I'm on day 12 using champix! Sooo proud of myself gringrin

QueenOfCats Sat 25-May-13 09:52:26

Well done south and Lynn!

I'm still going - really pleased with myself so far smile

I'm still very irritable and was thinking maybe I need gum or patches to take the edge off? Seeing the pharmacist Wednesday for some advice if still grumpy.

NoobyNoob Sat 25-May-13 13:02:45

I'm not doing so well today - I can't stop thinking about having a fag. I'm a grumpy cow all round and on the weekend too sad

FFS

lynne999 Sat 25-May-13 17:49:57

Quite often when u keep thinking about having a dag it's just a smoking memory doesn't always mean you need 1. That's what the NHs stop smoking shop told me and I'm sticking to it!!

lynne999 Sat 25-May-13 17:50:34

**mean fag stupid phone grin

Curranycake Mon 27-May-13 11:09:35

Hi can I please join in, Day 1 for me, I'm just marking my place and will be back later. Best of luck to all, we can do this!

Marking my place, will be joining you shortly.

I gave up for 24 hours last week and then caved blush

My two closest friends have quit in the past couple of months, one of them was a much heaver smoker than me and managed to quit cold turkey, so if she can do it...

I am about to go and smoke my last cigarette, will then be throwing all lighters away afterwards....

Curranycake Mon 27-May-13 13:13:45

Hi can I please join in, Day 1 for me, I'm just marking my place and will be back later. Best of luck to all, we can do this!

QueenOfCats Mon 27-May-13 13:45:40

Well I haven't smoked since 11pm Wednesday, so that's what, 96 hours now?

Cold turkey.

It's not been as bad as I expected actually. I have been very grumpy and irritable and had a few strong cravings but got through them by telling myself that if I was still desperate in an hour I'd think about having one.

I do feel better for it.

Good luck to everyone else grin

AgentFelix Mon 27-May-13 17:49:57

Oh this is brilliant, there's loads of us now grin

Good luck to all the newcomers and well done to those of us a few days or more in.

I'm on day 8 now of my cold turkey quit and it feels fine. I had 1 tantrum on day 2 and a bit of a sob on day 3 when the cravings were at their worst. I've just got back from Tesco and I would normally always smoke one in the car on the drive home but I didn't even think about it. There's 1 scenario that I find difficult though and that's waking up in the morning. This is shameful: I was such a heavy smoker that I'd have 5 ciggies and a can of diet coke before getting out of bed each morning. I wake up much earlier now and lie about in bed feeling out of sorts because I can't start my day that way I'm used to.

Curranycake Mon 27-May-13 21:17:05

Good evening everyone, its great to see that everyone is doing so well. I am tired and very grumpy this evening, so I have put myself to bed early. I don't want to smoke anymore but hate this whole withdrawal period.

Agentfelix that is fantastic that after 8 days you are feeling fine, I admire how you have fought through the cravings and are on well on your way to freedom! I know how you feel about starting the day the way you want, a ciggie is what used to get me out of bed in the morning, perhaps we need to find something else to look forward to instead. Keep up the fab work and thanx a mil for starting up this thread.

Queenofcats, I'm with you on the cravings, they are constant with me, only seem to leave me alone for minute amounts of time, I'm hoping I can get past day 5 which is always my weakest point and i always end up caving in, hope this time will be different as I really want to stop.

Springtime, how are you doing since your final ciggie earlier today?

Lynn that was interesting about the smoking memory, I have been repeating it over and over like a mantra all day, along with - its wonderful not to want to smoke, well my mind doesn't want to but my body does lol

Noobynoob how are you doing? Are you feeling any better?

Hello to everyone else, Sorry if I've left people out, I will have to take notes, Im new to posting

Best of luck to all. Please update and let us know how you are all getting on, it's great to have the support. smile

NoobyNoob Tue 28-May-13 09:02:35

I'm doing OK thanks Curranycake

Feel so much better today and had a pretty good day yesterday too. I bought a fake cigarette thinking that might do the trick but it tastes awful and makes me cough - but then it was only from Tescos so maybe I need to shop around a bit!

Hope everyone is doing OK?

Curranycake Tue 28-May-13 14:36:35

noobynoob, A massive congrats, you are off them a week today, you have done really well. Delighted that you have felt better yesterday and today, hopefully each day gets better and better. Let me know if you find an alternative electronic ciggie. I am using the Nicorette spray, it's ok, I don't think it gets rid of that whole body craving/withdrawal thing though.

I keep telling myself this too will pass, I really don't want to smoke and want all these cravings to go away so I can just get on with life, anyone got some positive stories, vibes to jolly me along this horrible withdrawal period.

Hope everyone is doing well. smile

Hi all I'm on week 8 this Friday! Using nicolites ecigs from tesco and now on the lowest strength. Don't think I could've done it without them

Oopla Tue 28-May-13 20:50:04

Hello non smokers! Can I join too? Keep up the good work, you're doing so well smile

I'm a shamefully heavy smoker, always at it. Have an e-lite e cigarette on the go now and have had about 4 cigarettes all day. (That's usually 4 just before breakfast)

Have now thrown all cigarettes and related bits out the house and going for it. Scared but looking forward to getting rid of the disgusting smell from my house and feeling healthier.

My DP is quitting too, so looking forward to saving some serious CASH!

Good luck guys, will catch up with you all tomrw x

Curranycake Tue 28-May-13 22:18:34

stressed, wow that is absolutely brilliant and it's great that you are down to the lowest strength, you must be absolutely delighted with yourself. It's great to hear positivity, it's gives me the courage to not give in.

Oopla it sounds like you have made a really good start already and that the e ciggies will work very well for you just like stressed above. it's lovely that your DP is quitting as well, it's great to have the support. I have only tried one e ciggie thing, I can't even remember the name of it, I didnt get

Curranycake Tue 28-May-13 22:31:41

stressed, wow that is absolutely brilliant and it's great that you are down to the lowest strength, you must be absolutely delighted with yourself. It's great to hear positivity, it's gives me the courage to not give in.

Oopla it sounds like you have made a really good start already and that the e ciggies will work very well for you just like stressed above. it's lovely that your DP is quitting as well, it's great to have the support. I have only tried one e ciggie thing, I can't even remember the name of it, I didnt get on with it, think I just wasn't getting a hit from it at all.

So I'm in bed early again tonight, I'm like a demon today, I do not want to pick up a fag and smoke it, but I am in absolute ribbons with cravings and irritability, my poor DC are not getting away with anything and they all choose the wrong day to act up in the supermarket! I really hope that things start to improve fairly fast because I cannot sustain the way I'm feeling but at the same time I do not want to smoke or light up, the thought of that repulses me on one hand yet on the other I'm missing the lovely cuppa and ciggie chill out moment. Does anyone get any of that? Lol, anyway sorry for long post.

Keep going everyone and please share how your feeling getting by, tips, it's great that we can all support each other. grin

Curranycake Tue 28-May-13 22:35:28

grin I meant

Curranycake Tue 28-May-13 22:38:37

Sorry, I'm new to posting and it somehow posted the first one before I was finished!!

AgentFelix Tue 28-May-13 23:38:09

Curranycake yes, I'm with you on the ciggie, cuppa and chill-out moment. I don't really know how to have a quick break anymore. I used to have to grab 5 minutes for a fag when I was smoking but now breaks seem a bit pointless. I stop what I'm doing to just sit still with a glass of water or something. It's not relaxing and I miss the ooh, that's better now feeling.

Definatly don't give in. I'm glad I used ecigs as I think having the physcial need to hood and have a gag is what I was craving most. Was still craving a fag every few days up til week 6 even with the ecigs (but only occasionaly) but now I don't crave them at all.
Another week and will slowly wean myself off ecig. Stick with it everyone!!
My Dh has given up to and has a piggy bank u have to break to open. He's putting in half the amount of money each day he would've spent on fags and other half he's treating himself with

Oopla Thu 30-May-13 07:06:10

How's it going guys?

Went to bed really early lastnight so i wasn't tempted to start picking at food. smile

Been a bit snappy with DP and he with me but trying to remind ourselves it was likely to happen. Keep it up xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now