Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quitting Smoking One Day at a Time

(281 Posts)
AgentFelix Mon 20-May-13 00:16:39

I took my last puff at 23.59 and I am not going to smoke for the rest of the day, or the day after that, or the day after that ...

Bit of a blow at 00.00 when I gathered up my ashtray, lighter and 4 remaining cigarettes to find I had an unopened pack of 20 hidden on my desk. DP now has the somewhat crappy job of distributing said pack somewhere in the neighbourhood. I was going to post them through a (smoking) neighbours letter box but I don't know her very well and thought it might creep her out.

Does anyone want to buddy up?

I'm going to make myself accountable to this thread. Support is very welcome.

DP has just come back and assured me he has left fags where I won't find them. I just hope that the person who comes across them hasn't just started their own quit.

obrigada Wed 26-Jun-13 11:55:43

Am on Day 3 of Champix and would like to join you all on here if that's ok?

Oopla Wed 26-Jun-13 20:40:58

Thanks Crazy smile

By all means welcome obrigada, how are feeling on day 3? Most of the group at the smoking cessation I go to are taking champix, sounds really amazing smile

Hi all. Day 7 for me now and i'm still on the wagon! DP is doing well too and we are starting to feel a bit more 'normal' now, especially in the evenings.
We are even inspiring family members to give up ! grin

Lots of high-fives to all you fabulous non-smokers!
Oberon, Wannago, gin, Oopla, Crazy, brightyoungthing and everyone else I'm so proud of us and so good to see you here!

I'm extra chuffed because today is One. Whole. Month. Smoke Free. I love it. I still miss it (a bit), still sometimes have moments of not being able to concentrate at work, still a few cranky moody cow moments, but I love not smoking.

Here is a list of what i already LOVE about being a non-smoker:
I love not having to plan my work day around when I get to sneak out to smoke,
Not having to deal with all the smoking paraphernalia.
I love not stinking like an ashtray when I hug the DDs.
My dad is so proud of me.
Not having to make DH pause the TV (accompanied by massive eye-rolling and sighing) while I step outside for a fag.
I love saving money.
I love walking past people on the street and not feeling like a social outcast for blowing smoke near them.
I love being on a four-hour flight (this weekend smile) and not counting the minutes until I can have a cigarette
I love not having to ignore all the health warnings an having to pretend that they don't scare me, or they somehow magically don't apply to me.

What do you love?

smile grin

obrigada welcome! I'm using NRT rather than Champix but I hope it is going well for you.

McNo Mon 01-Jul-13 20:45:54

Hi all, well done to all you non smokers grin I'm on Day 1 of another attempt to stop. Hoping i can do it this time. I'm using patches. Fingers crossed. So glad to have found this thread to motivate myself smile

leesmum Mon 01-Jul-13 22:54:27

Hearts...your list is just like mine...I'm on day 15 and have gone cold turkey, I'm well pleased with myself.. Keep going ladies we can all do it I'm sure X

Lees, I am impressed with anyone who does cold turkey - I tried that a couple of times and didn't even last a day I think blush

McNo, good luck with the first few days, it really does get easier. I'm on patches too and using a bit of nicorette gum now and then.

My next hurdle will be coming off hte NRT. Dreading that a bit - I found it difficult last time (2 years ago)

McNo Tue 02-Jul-13 20:00:19

Thank you for support heart but gutted to say i gave in to temptation today. Day 1 again tomorrow! I need to find another way of dealing with stressful times at work hmm

leesmum Tue 02-Jul-13 22:14:35

McNo don't be too hard on yourself, I'm sure you'll do it eventually x

Can I join in pretty please?? smile

Have just stubbed out my last cigarette and know I'll be needing a little support. Stopped last year cold turkey when pregnant and it was hard going. Stupidly started again after having dd but this time I'm going with the patches.

15-20 a day smoker for the guts of 18 years (bar pregnancies). That's quite shocking to write it down in black and white!!

ballroom welcome and good luck. I'm still counting in days - 33 days today and every day is still a bit of a struggle but getting easier all the time. Have you thought about using gum or lozenges in addition to the patches? The gum helps me get through an immediate craving. Can also recommend the NHS stop smoking app if you have a smartphone.

I was 15-20 a day since about the age of 21, so that is 22 years. I stopped during pregnancies too and gave up a few times but it never lasted very long - although DH would tell you differently. I was a secret smoker for a LOT of those years. This time I have told myself:
1. If you are going to smoke, it has to be cigarettes that I BUY MYSELF and not cadging one from someone and
2. I HAVE TO TELL my husband and my DDs

I know myself, I can't have "just one". If I have one, I have to have them all.

Anyways, good luck!!

McNo a little setback is ok though right? But also, you really have to want to do it. Stressful times at work are so so hard - my coping mechanism used to be to go for a fag! Now I have a coffee, a drink of water and/or a piece of the gum or TBH come on here for a bit....

The fags I miss most are the first one in the morning, the stress-at-work ones and the one on my walk home from work. If only I could only have those ones and that's it, I would be a happy camper. But from previous experience, and as I said in my previous post, I can't have just one. I have to have them all. Bloody fucking nicotine. Hate it.

OberonTheHopeful Wed 03-Jul-13 15:15:22

Just wanted to say that it was two weeks yesterday since I last had a cigarette! The cravings have got easier in the last few days (though have been back a bit today) and I'm determined to keep going smile

Thanks hearts and you are doing brilliantly making it to 33 days. Well done! I agree, still count the days until the 100 at least as somehow saying months sounds like less time. I've done the secret smoker thing and have been hiding it from having dd - from my dad of all people (you wouldn't think I was in my 30's fgs)! He hates smoking with a passion and was really proud of me stopping. He'll find out in a couple of weeks when I meet them on holiday as the patch will give it away but know he'll be ok knowing I'm trying to stop again. Tried to find the NHS stop smoking app but couldn't for some reason. Got another one downloaded to count away the money and time smile I'm the same. Can't ever have a cigarette again as I know from the past it starts as the odd couple and before you know it I'm up to a pack again.

McNo I think the main thing is recognising your triggers to smoke and replacing them with something that works for you. No point in beating yourself up about it, just take it as a learning experience and get back on that horse grin

Well done on two weeks Oberon. I love reading about other people who have stopped longer than I have. Gives me hope.

I'm just looking forward to getting the first three days over and done with. It's funny the things I associate with smoking. Was sweating onions today and the thought popped into my head about three times about going for a smoke. I never realised how I nearly always go for a cigarette while I'm cooking onions slowly as it takes so long. Random!

Three cheers for Oberon two weeks! Fourteen whole days!

Ballroom - I haven't talked much about my dad on here but he is a very major reason I'm stopping. He hates smoking too, HATES it, has never smoked himself. His own father died young from emphysema, before which he burned down their family home by falling asleep on the couch one afternoon with a lit cigarette. Dad was on his way home from school I think it was, saw all the fire engines in their road and just ran all the way down. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt and it was only (all of) their possessions that they lost... just to give a bit of background. Anyways darling Dad now has cancer and not that much longer with us (oh the irony) and it sounds awfully maudlin but I really want him to know that his daughter is a bona-fide non-smoker before he dies. It's quite motivating...

So on that happy note, goodnight all and see you soon!

OberonTheHopeful Thu 04-Jul-13 20:21:23

Thank you everyone! It's reading about how well everybody is doing on here that keeps me going smile.

I had a really bad day yesterday (just stress) and found myself wanting a cigarette quite a few times. At one point I had my shoes on to go to the shop and get some, but managed to bring myself back from the brink, as it were. Today has been a bit better, and I'm really busy for the next few days, which I know will help.

It's great being able to share this on here. I don't think anyone who has been a long term smoker really knows how hard it can be to quit, though I've noticed that the second week was definitely easier than the first for me. A key trick for me is when I get a craving I immediately try to find something to do for a few minutes and it really helps.

I've also found I have more time. I think I was probably spending between one and two hours a day just smoking! And because I won't smoke in the house I usually went for a short walk or to the park.

Hearts, I'm really sorry about your dad sad. I'm sure he's over the moon though that you're doing so well and stopping smoking. 33 days (well, 34 now!) is amazing!

Oh my I'm not surprised your dad hates smoking with that happened in his past Hearts. So sorry to hear he is ill. I'm sure he is really proud of you for quitting.

I think the reason my own dad hates smoking so much is because my mum has always been a heavy smoker (30 a day for coming up to 40 years), whereas he has never, ever touched a cigarette in his life. He worries about her smoking, we all do as she's had a god awful cough for a year or two now. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she had the beginnings of emphysema or COPD. It sounds a harsh thing to say and obviously I would hope against hope not but I don't know as she's in total denial that it could be the cigarettes causing her cough. It's always allergies, a cold or whatever and that pisses my dad off as I suppose he doesn't get the smoker mind-set of burying your head in the sand about the health issues (but deep inside you do worry don't you).

That's brilliant that you found the resolve not to go to the shops after coming so close Oberon. Way-hey!! I'm glad today was a better day for you. I find also find stress a bit hard to handle without my old crutch cigarettes. I think they say a craving lasts for up to three minutes so you're right, if you find something to do for those three, that's another down and defeated. Three minutes is nothing really when you think about it.

Personally I've not been too bad today. Took myself and the kids out for most of the day and ran into one of the mums from the school run and her dc so we took the kids to the park and bite to eat after. Was a good distraction as I never smoke when out and about with my dc anyway.

The cravings I am getting I'm just trying to tell myself it's nicotine cravings and not that I want a cigarette. Just the nicotine demon trying to fool me!! Trying to separate the craving from the want iykwim. Also for the first time imagining myself as a non-smoker in the future, looking back and wondering why I did it so long. I've always never been able to imagine myself as a non-smoker for any length of time, possibly because I've been smoking since 16 yo (my whole adult life), this time I can for some reason. Hopefully I can keep that mindset.

Oopla Sun 07-Jul-13 21:39:24

Oberon, that's immense that you managed to pull it back from the shoes on moment, that takes real strength. I hope things have been easier the last few days.

Ballroom, I like the way you talk about Separating the craving from smoking. I've noticed my cravings are identical to the emotional eating pangs ( biscuits, chocolate, and so forth!) that send me standing by the fridge grin I hope this warm weather is working out good for getting out and about an distracting yourself plenty.

Well done everyone who's quitting, thinking about quitting, done it..doing it !

I got my nhs referral gym pass this week from my stop smoking group grin so have been swimming 4 times lol yes 4 times and had my induction tonight at the gym. Never been to a gym ever was really nervous but it was great! I ran for much longer on the treadmill than I've ever been able to outside before. Can't wait to go back.

Have a great week everyone xx

Oh everyone is doing so GREAT! I am so so proud of us. Thank you all for your kind words about my dad. Three things to celebrate this weekend, Murray's win (of course), DHs birthday yesterday and 5 weeks smoke free!!

Oopla Mon 08-Jul-13 15:59:00

Wanted to ask longer term quitters if any of you dealt with insomnia? I've been early waking for the last 4-5 weeks confused really hoping it'll settle down but not sure of its part of a deeper issue. Guess time will tell but would love to hear from anyone who's been through this.

currentlyconfuseddotcom Mon 08-Jul-13 18:49:30

Hearts well done, that's marvelous!

And congrats to everyone else who has persevered.

I fell off the wagon but have just hopped back on, I'm determined now <grits teeth>

WannagotoDallas Mon 08-Jul-13 20:09:29

Oopla - I am also still not sleeping properly after 7 weeks stopped. I wake before dawn most days. If I sleep later its only because I'm so knackered after bad nights. I think initially it was a withdrawal symptom but it has just become a habit now maybe?

I'm lucky about the sleep thing, I'm on medication that knocks me out completely - think freight trains and earthquakes not waking me up! I have been having some of the most amazing psychedelic dreams though and I remember that happening last time too.

Also, when I was smoking, I would get up as soon as I woke up, have a coffee & fag then (if I could) go back to bed - but usually couldn't get back to sleep properly. Now I just sigh, stretch and roll over, it's bliss!

Welcome back currentlyconfused you can do it!

OberonTheHopeful Thu 11-Jul-13 19:36:33

I'm finding everyone on here such an inspiration to keep going!

I'm now at 3 weeks and 3 days, and certainly for the last few days haven't had many cravings (still on patches though). Like some others. I've been finding my sleep has been disturbed and obviously that could be at least partly down to quitting. I'm hoping it will get better soon smile.

My next appointment at the stop smoking clinic is on Tuesday and I'm thinking of asking for a lower dose patch (currently on stage 1, 25 mg). Would be interested to know if anyone else has any experience of cutting the dose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now