Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Type 1 Diabetics - has anyone experienced weight gain after reducing HbA1c?

(5 Posts)
Esker Wed 15-May-13 22:34:16

And if so... how much?
I recently reduced my HbA1c from 7.5 to 6.5 and have put on 10lbs.
If I'm honest I was borderline underweight before, so it's probably for the best. But I hate the feeling of loss of control, and I feel panicky about where it will stop. I have also been much more careful over the past few weeks since noticing weight creeping on, and yet I haven't lost any weight.
I had a clinic appointment today and asked the consultant whether this was normal and she said that it is generally thought that a reduction of 1% in HbA1c corresponds to an increase of a dress size. Which seems to be exactly true in my case shock
Just curious to know what other peoples' experiences are. I'm aware that whatever skinniness I had before was basically artificially sustained by having high blood sugars, and I do of course prefer to have better control and be slightly larger. But it's not fun sad

paddyclampo Wed 15-May-13 23:26:06

I can't say that I've ever had that, but i'm neither under nor overweight. Have you increased your insulin as insulin can encourage weight gain according to my consultant!

Footle Thu 16-May-13 09:37:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Footle Thu 16-May-13 09:38:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Esker Thu 16-May-13 17:23:42

Thank you both for your responses. Funnily enough I'm taking less insulin at the moment as I changed my long-acting insulin and have been doing more exercise, both of which I think resulted in the improved HbA1c.
I will check out the diabetes support forum- thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now