Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Type 1 Diabetics - has anyone experienced weight gain after reducing HbA1c?

(5 Posts)
Esker Wed 15-May-13 22:34:16

And if so... how much?
I recently reduced my HbA1c from 7.5 to 6.5 and have put on 10lbs.
If I'm honest I was borderline underweight before, so it's probably for the best. But I hate the feeling of loss of control, and I feel panicky about where it will stop. I have also been much more careful over the past few weeks since noticing weight creeping on, and yet I haven't lost any weight.
I had a clinic appointment today and asked the consultant whether this was normal and she said that it is generally thought that a reduction of 1% in HbA1c corresponds to an increase of a dress size. Which seems to be exactly true in my case shock
Just curious to know what other peoples' experiences are. I'm aware that whatever skinniness I had before was basically artificially sustained by having high blood sugars, and I do of course prefer to have better control and be slightly larger. But it's not fun sad

paddyclampo Wed 15-May-13 23:26:06

I can't say that I've ever had that, but i'm neither under nor overweight. Have you increased your insulin as insulin can encourage weight gain according to my consultant!

Footle Thu 16-May-13 09:37:41

Diabetes-Support.org.uk has a good forum. Hope this helps.

Footle Thu 16-May-13 09:38:32

Bother I thought the link would work. Don't know how to do it, other than ticking Convert links automatically.

Esker Thu 16-May-13 17:23:42

Thank you both for your responses. Funnily enough I'm taking less insulin at the moment as I changed my long-acting insulin and have been doing more exercise, both of which I think resulted in the improved HbA1c.
I will check out the diabetes support forum- thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now