Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovulation pain?

(5 Posts)
SparklyStream Wed 15-May-13 22:03:52

Does anyone else get pain around ovulation time? I've had three babies (youngest 15 months) and never had it until recently. I'm sure it coincides with ovulation timings - does ovulation-related pain exist?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 16-May-13 00:28:41

I became aware of it personally only in my late30's/early 40's and not every month. There's a German name for it, "mittel schmerz" literally meaning middle pain (middle of the menstrual cycle). On one side of the lower abdomen, lasts a day. I found a warm bath soothing but didn't usually need a painkiller but for me it was more of a nagging cramp feeling rather than sharp pains.

If you are actually sick with it or have a raised temperature I'd get yourself checked by your doctor.

Jestrin Thu 16-May-13 06:46:08

God yes! Agonising pain at ovulation time but only on one side. I haven't had it since having a mirena.

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 16-May-13 06:49:08

Yes! On right hand side only.

Followed by that (TMI) appalling pain up the bum, which is apparently some pouch filling up or emptying with blood after ovulation.

SparklyStream Fri 17-May-13 21:24:40

Thanks ladies. I'm sure that must be what it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now