Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this menopausal...... sore, swollen, tender breasts? Help!!

(11 Posts)
baileysmam Wed 15-May-13 21:11:25

Without trawling through loads of previous posts wondered if anyone else was experiencing any problems such as tender, swollen breasts due to menopause? Hell just getting used to some of the more obvious symptoms then this. I honestly worried if i was preggers, gawd who would have thought at 50 i would even have to consider that as a possibility? But the last time my boobs felt like this was either pregnancy or periods. I've gone on good old google and it appears it could be another symptom of the menopause, but has any of you ladies, heard of this? Experienced this? Or any ideas how to cope with this? Not on HRT, and don't want to if possible, so any other ideas would be really welcome. My partner has taken to calling me " your royal dryness" !! Really dont want to acquire another nickname sad

Bowlersarm Wed 15-May-13 21:16:27

Watching with interest. I could have written your post (as they say on here!)

Same age and considering buying a pregnancy test just to reassure myself. Very very strange.

chickydoo Wed 15-May-13 21:22:38

Same here, def not pregnant.
Boobs agony

storytopper Wed 15-May-13 21:32:03

I am age 56 - finished my menopause 2 years ago. It was quite long and drawn-out but not too bad. I remember phases of sore swollen boobs and bras suddenly being too small. I had fluid-filled cysts which had to be drained. A bit scared when I first discovered them but they are harmless if annoying.

CarpeVinum Wed 15-May-13 21:35:03

Peri menopause. Welcome to the club.

Am sick to death of boobs that hurt like fuck almost all the time.

Oh and the very expensive "supplements" with red clover in them.

save your money.

<sits down in a massive grump after five months of swollen sore boobs>

changingnickname Thu 16-May-13 14:28:29

Have you any other symptoms? Sore boobs can be part of PMS as we all know and it sometimes gets worse at meno or if periods are all over the place.

BTW unless you have not had a period for 2 years ( under 50) or 1 full year ( over 50) you can still get pregnant ( yes you can) so should use contraception.) Sometimes the ovaries go into overdrive- or ovadrive and throw out lots of eggs as they run out.

You can slo get oestrogen cream to use vaginally from your GP which is not the same as taking full HRT but will sort out your royal dryness- don't be shy- go along and ask.

changingnickname Thu 16-May-13 14:31:16

story You can't finish your menopause. Menopause is the next stage of life which lasts forever. Peri is the transition until periods stop, but the other estrogen deficient symptoms like dry 'highnesses', flushes , sweats, brittle bones etc can start then or carry on for decades.

PipkinsPal Thu 16-May-13 14:37:18

I'm 45 have been experiencing intermittent sore boobs too. So sensitive I can't touch them. I've never had sore boobs before. I've put that down to the fact that I stopped taking the pill last September after being on this type of contraception from the age of 17 until 44 except for two one year breaks at the age of 18 and 33. Also I would have thought that my periods would have regulated by now. I had a 3 day period last Bank Holiday weekend and the one before was the middle of February.

baileysmam Thu 16-May-13 15:44:28

Thanks for all the above, especially Bowlersarm and chickydoo, it's bloody alarming to say the least when you experience symptoms you last had when having periods or worse still pregnancy. God the very thought of it sends me into a spin. But yes i too thought should i buy a pregnancy test. My lovely partner said very helpfully if i was pregnant not to worry as he's be throwing me in the harbour.......( he had the snip years ago)!! But seriously, this whole menopause malarky is more than a pain in the chest!! I googled extensivley last night, and yes ladies, swollen, sore sensitive boosoms are yet another possible side effect. Haven't had a period for a couple of years, but even so, you still worry then your mind goes into overdrive. But then again being anxious can also be side effect. Hhhm vaginal dryness, something else i've started to experience. The list goes on, but i wont, otherwise you might all be throwing yourself in the harbour after me!!

storytopper Thu 16-May-13 18:48:36

Changing - the definition of menopause is here - the end of periods. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menopause/DS00119
What you describe is post menopause.

storytopper Thu 16-May-13 18:49:13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now