Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

24 weeks pregnant - flu symptoms last two days and now a rattly chest

(10 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Wed 15-May-13 14:24:24

I've not had a temperature, but have been shivery, feeling cold, aches in bones etc, as well as a bad hacking cough and headache. I've spent most of the time in bed or laid up on settee. This started on Monday I think.
Today, I am coughing up more gunk and I can feel the phlegm on my chest, which then tickles me and I need to cough it up.
I am sorted of tempted to wait an extra day or so. DH thinks it's such a bad cough, that I need to check out with a Dr that it isn't a chest infection.
I just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what constitutes a chest infection versus just a bad cough?
Any ideas appreciated - thanks

If you are coughing up gunk and rattling you need to go to the GP asap-it probably is a chest infection.

sheeplikessleep Wed 15-May-13 14:32:32

It's not constant rattling, more just like when the gunk forms of gets released or whatever (probably tmi!).
And my gunk is clear / creamy, rather than yellow or green.
Maybe I should go and get checked over then damn I hate it when DH is right
Thanks for posting

It's for the best. Sorry. Specially being pregnant.

harleyd Wed 15-May-13 14:36:51

get checked out
in my last pregnancy i left a cough/cold for weeks before i finally seen a doc because i didnt want to take antibiotics, i ended up feeling pretty grim with a chest infection for quite a long time

sheeplikessleep Wed 15-May-13 14:39:33

Yeah I know, just feels like I'm always there blush
You've convinced me anyway, I've just phoned up and got an appointment at 4.30 this afternoon.

sheeplikessleep Wed 15-May-13 14:40:52

Not that I'm always there for me, but for DS1 and DS2, it feels like our second home the last few months.

I have phases like that sheep. i was there once a week with one or other of us for about 6 weeks once. Didn't get banned though. smile

Just ask them to listen to your chest. wear something that makes that fairly easy as they listen to your back too.

sheeplikessleep Thu 16-May-13 09:03:04

I went yesterday and he spent what felt like about 10 minutes listening to my chest and back. Every time I tried to take a deep breath, I was just getting into hacking coughing fits. He said he could hear it on my chest, but that the coughing was clearing it, so it wasn't an infection. Told to take paracetemol and steam inhalation and go back if it doesn't improve.

Also told to book the whooping cough vaccine in a few weeks for baby too, when I feel better.

Another rough night. I've just eaten some eggy bread, to try and get some protein in me. I feel weak, which I think is because I'm eating toddler size portions at the moment, if that. I've also had hot lemon and inhalation, but it doesn't really work. God, what I would do for a lemsip right now!!! wink

At least it's not an infection so that's good. But you poor thing, you are really going through it. Hope you start to feel better soon. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now