Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial ablation

(9 Posts)
nunnie Wed 15-May-13 10:55:20

Had this done in September due to having a period of 10 months without any real break.
Anyhow, periods are not as bad or as heavy as prior still there and the last couple of months have started to creep into the 2 week in length.
However that is much better than before.
The problem I have is prior to surgery I never suffered with painful periods, now especially my last 3 the pains have been getting progressively worse. This one has had me doubled over struggling to get my breath back, they are similar to spasms and stop me in my tracks. Have taken ibroprufen and paracetamol back to back and they ease it very slightly.
Has anyone else experienced this after an ablation and what did you taken to function normally?

Thank you

lovelytoes Wed 15-May-13 13:38:30

Thats really bad luck for you as i had mine done 4 years ago and not had a period or twinge since.iif i were you i would go back to your doctor as it sounds like this has not worked.they use different methods for ablation i had the novasure method and i can honestly say its the best thing that i could have done.i feel like a new woman.

nunnie Wed 15-May-13 15:02:14

Thank you for your response. I had the same method as yourself. It may well not be related to the surgery but it does seem to be in time with my periods so I am guessing they are period related.
I have an appointment with GP for the 24th regarding this can't get any sooner unless emergency. I have some feminax express now so hoping they will be helpful.
Glad your ablation went well. Hoping this is just a temporary setback.

lovelytoes Wed 15-May-13 17:23:56

Crikey the reason for ablation is to make periods stop and have no more pain.not make problems worse or else what wouldbe the point in having it done.ask for referrel back to surgeon tjat performed op.i hope you get this sorted asap x

Jestrin Wed 15-May-13 18:13:41

I'm considering having this done. My mirena has moved and is only doing half a job. My hospital consultant has said I can have another mirena but my gp (who is pro mirena and knows her stuff about it ) has said to me that considering my history she wouldn't give me another one. An ablation is the next step really.

RandomMess Wed 15-May-13 18:16:50

I had novasure done 3 years ago, I still have periods but are incredibly light etc. Absolutely no arrival of any pain though. Perhaps it's a cyst or something - you should get it checked out.

TwinklyFairy Sat 18-May-13 15:37:22

I had the Novasure procedure done 7 months ago and it has been amazing, it has truly given me my life back. I don't have any periods at all... whoppee! I had been suffering with severe bleeding for several years and I felt that it was ruining my life. I thought that I was suffering with depression, but it turned out the severe anaemia. As 'lovelytoes' mentioned there are several types of Endometrial Ablation. It is worth going to your GP to have things checked out because you shouldn't be suffering so much.

Jestrin Sun 19-May-13 19:08:24

I'm having my thyroid function blood test this week and then I need to decide. It's hard though! Although its only doing half the job the mirena really has helped with the heavy periods and pain I had. I'm worried that by not having one reinserted I'm going to go back to how things were. But the general consensus here is that the ablation can really help?

fortyplus Sun 19-May-13 19:10:11

There are lots of threads on endometrial ablation if you search for them, but I don't recall anyone saying they've experienced this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now